Default New Tenants or Robbers?

I discovered my hive was dead in December. I had 2 hive bodies, but took one with frames of honey and stored it in my garage. The other body I left where it was, with frames (some had a little honey) and the outer lid. Last week, I went to look at the hive and saw two bees going into the hive. I opened the lid, but didn't see any other bees.

This past Monday, it was sunny and 60 degrees, so I checked the hive and there were hundreds of bees buzzing around. I was thrilled because I assumed a swarm had found the hive and decided to move in. A couple of days later (another fairly warm day) I put a patty of bee food on top of the frames, but didn't do anything else. At that time there were lots of bees and they were very busy.

Today was cloudy and quite a bit cooler. I walked down to the hive and found approximately 20 dead bees at the entrance. I thought all the live bees must be in the hive, so I put my ear next to it to listen and there was nothing. No sounds at all. I even knocked on the hive a couple of times to see if that would stir them up a bit. Still silence.

I'm baffled by these bees. They are also taking me on an emotional roller coaster ride that I don't appreciate!

Does anyone have any experience similar to this? Do you think it was just another hive robbing the honey?

Thanks for reading my story. I look forward to some responses.

Default Re: New Tenants or Robbers?

Almost certainly robbers. At least here in SW VA, it is way too early for any kind of swarm. Sorry to hear about the loss of your hive. Hope you can expand to at least two or more hives this year.

Shane

Thanks, Shane. I appreciate your input. This is disappointing, but I am planning to get two hives started this year. I'm also signed up for a beginning beekeeping workshop next weekend that will help me figure things out.

Thanks again for your reply.
    Laura

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Here in Ky, (and Missouri is very similar to Ky.), it is way too early for swarms. Hives are breaking cluster on our warm days, but most hives will still be very low on population. cchoganjr

My uncle and I have five hives between us. The strongest hive was a Russian nuc started last April. The Russians hit the ground running and did great. Filled out almost 20 deep frames. We thought if any hive would pull through this winter, it would be the Russians. But, for whatever reason, a SEVERE case of moisture built up in that hive and they died out in late Dec/early Jan. I was so thankful my mentor had "schemed" to make sure I had more than one hive. Do you have a local beekeepers assoc? If not, maybe your Ag agent can put you in contact with some other beekeepers. Beekeeping is so much more fun when you can bounce ideas off of other beek friends.

With the box of honey in your garage, you may want to make sure that mice/bugs can't get access to it.

Shane

We do have a Beekeeper's Association here. I also took a 5 session workshop last year from some people who live fairly close to me. They are really busy, so I feel kind of weird calling them whenever I'm freaked out about my bees. I guess I need to get over that and just reach out. I think most people are more than happy to share their beekeeping experiences. I know that has been true here!

Thanks for the replies!

I think in beekeeping must follow some very strict lines. One is local race of bees. We can not bring bees that are inappropriate for the area. In our country we only use local backgrounds and this gives us an additional guarantee. Other origins may go well then season can be affected by all kinds of harmful biotic and abiotic which have not developed resistance.
    Matter and skills course beekeeper to maintain strong families can protect themselves, including thieves.
    Miere bucovina from miere de mana