Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: How do you "bait" your swarm traps?

I prefer using other peoples houses/sheds/barns/trees for swarm traps.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    I have read several times that people use rubbing alcohol also. Rubbing alcohol is alcohol with the fun part removed.
    Not quite true. Rubbing alcohol is isopropanol, an entirely different molecule than ethanol (vodka, everclear). Both should work equally well though. The alcohols evaporate quickly in the hive, leaving the queen pheromone behind.

Question Re: How do you "bait" your swarm traps?

I found a metric conversion site and converted 40 liters to cubic feet. I got 1.41 cubic feet....I thought that the five frame volume was close to the 40L......but it is not as big as I thought (its .7 Cu FT), only 50% of the 40 liters....I would have bet a lot of money it was closer than that. I'll drive by some building sites and scrounge in their rubbish bins to find scraps enough to make a few of the larger boxes.
    Last edited by Lburou; 02-05-2013 at 08:50 PM.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.co...FYxDMgod-g0A6g

Real good pricing on the essential oils.

Has anybody tried mixing cooking oil and lemon grass oil in a baggie to help prolong the LGO scent? What about placing the baggie on the outside of the trap, encouraging the scent to waft (is that a word?) out as the day heats up, inviting bees from a greater distance?

I have never felt a need to renew LGO scent. I have caught swarms in bait boxes after they are emptied of their first catch, and last summer I caught a swarm on a follower board sitting alone in an uncovered box. The LGO penetrates comb and wood and lasts a long time. More is not always btter.

odfrank, I saw on your post about your new boxes that you areusing LGO with brood comb wax melted together with a heat gun. Do you think that maybe the LGO is slowly out-gassing allowing the smell to last longer, or do you think that the bees just don't need that much LGO?

I always put it in once, like Oliver, it seems to work fine to the end of the season. I also concur that more is not better. Too much will drive them out after it attracts them...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I think it lasts a long time and you don't need much. It takes a delicate touch on the little bottle to only drop on three or so drops. I just do a couple inside the entrance.

Two hard learned rules of swarm trapping:
    Don't set LGO baited traps close together, swarms will divide leaving you a small Zombie swarm in one box.
    Tighten those Kelley disks well after moving the swarm.
    My new rule for this year: use full size brood chambers.

Three weeks to go here....come on HONIES, coochie coo BABIES come on in!!!! DADDIES WAITIN!!!

That reminds me....I'm not ready for them. Calm down Ollie, compose yourself....get those traps ready.

odfrank, you gave me my belly laugh of the day!

What about using something like Pro Health? It has lemon grass oil in it and smells real lemony.... I had a hive swarm on me last year and took a deep and dabbed some Pro Health on a paper towel and put it inside...But it was of course, on the ground, and the bees were on a tree limb about 50 feet in the air and had been there for 2 days. It didn't work, but I don't know if maybe it was because the deep was so low/bee so high up, or after that length of time they had found something else...they were gone the next day and I had only tried the Pro Health like in the late afternoon, so it really wasn't there that long...

397213_472165292816444_1472219167_n.jpg
    This is a wild swarm that set up shop on a limb 6 1/2 feet off the ground. Had to cut it down and frame the combs up with rubber bands. Only took 18 stings doing it though with the suit on. Very docile....till dark came and the lights come on. Enough comb to fill 2 10 frame deeps with comb left over. 13 layers of comb in that hive. I think hiving them saved their lives as they are still kicking it. They would of froze on that limb for sure.

>Placed 3 meters (10 feet) off the ground in a cool shade of a tree.

I prefer to place my traps in full sun facing south. The heat helps to "vaporize" the scent of the lemon grass oil and old wax. I have had success with traps close to the ground, my first for the season moved in this past week. Picture attached.2013-02-26 13.34.52.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Don't set LGO baited traps close together, swarms will divide leaving you a small Zombie swarm in one box.
    How close is close? I have a couple traps that are as close as 50 yds to each other. Is that too close? There is a beekeeper right down the rd so im expecting quite a few swarms and it's an offsite location so I set the traps kinda dense
    Jason Young

I would think that is too close. Not sure about Zombie swarms (OdFrank will have to elaborate on that!) but I would think that you would want separation as a way to cover a larger scouting area. I would think that any bees in hive one would have potentially found hive two.

Property ownership in the main problem with a larger scouting area. It's my grandparents property and it's only a couple acres. I have 5 traps out there so basically the only way to space them out would be to remove some of the traps. The place is about 2 hrs away so I can't exactly check them every week. I was hoping to have multiple swarms the times I do go check them.
    Jason Young

If you have access to all your traps, just combine any too-small swarms as you would a weak hive and a strong hive. I too have a limited trap area and can only visit every week, so will be setting up multiple traps in a fairly small area.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoung21 View Post
    Property ownership in the main problem with a larger scouting area. It's my grandparents property and it's only a couple acres. I have 5 traps out there so basically the only way to space them out would be to remove some of the traps. The place is about 2 hrs away so I can't exactly check them every week. I was hoping to have multiple swarms the times I do go check them.
    Perhaps your grandparents have a friend or two that might let you "spread" out just a little bit.

I'll ask about the neighbors, Maybe pull one trap from the g-parents property and take a couple more traps down there if I can get enough neighbors.
    Jason Young

Google maps is your friend. And just asking. Most people don't care, as long as it isn't in their front lawn, and you are not attracting killer bees!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast