Hybrid View

Arrow How do you "bait" your swarm traps?

I'm wondering about your methods of keeping lure scent in the swarm trap.

What kind of scent of lure do you use?

How do you make it last? Or do you revisit often?

I know about using comb, but what about slumgum, or something else that's not so common?

What are your approaches to luring or "baiting" the swarm trap?

Thanks,

Adam

Default Re: How do you "bait" your swarm traps?

I have found the best results using one or two old but clean brood comb frames, no honey as that could start a robbing frenzy, and a few drops of lemon grass oil at the entrance of the swarm trap. Placed 3 meters (10 feet) off the ground in a cool shade of a tree. Works a treat especially across the road from somebody elses apiary. LOL

The best way I've found to preserve Lemon Grass Oil is to put 4 or 5 drops on a piece of paper towel, put the paper towel in a ziplock sandwich bag with several small holes on one side of the bag. Ziplock it and place it on the floor of the trap hole side up. It will last forever! You don't want to have to hoist your traps down every couple of weeks to freshen them up.

Now some on this forum, (Odfrank, MB) will say, "You don't need to do that, just put a couple drops at the entrance and forget it" or "You just need to put a few drops on a Q-tip and place it in the hive and walk away".

These old farts mean well but I think you owe it to yourself to bait your traps as efficiently and effectively as you can.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I love it when young farts waste their time and money and then brag about it. Fools and their money are soon parted. I'll save those paper towels and ziplocks for my lunch box, thanks.
    >I think you owe it to yourself to bait your traps as efficiently and effectively as you can.
    Charlie, when you have caught half as many as I do this year come over and give me some more sage advice.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 02-04-2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: quoting

Wow, a little over two hours to respond. I knew it wouldn't take you long. You know I'm just foolin about.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

If I could just find a glass eye dropper, I'd just drop four drops somewhere in the bait hive. The only ones I seem to be able to find are plastic and they melt in EO. So I use a Q-tip, and tip one end in the Lemongrass Essential Oil and the other end in the "Queen Juice" and drop it in the hive. Perfect measurement every time. It lasts a season.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I am working on a new Craigslist add: "WANTED - Site to place honeybee swarm traps in your backyard or on your rooftop. Must be in the Richmond neighborhood of San Francisco. preferably near Golden Gate Park west of 19th avenue. Will trade for one quart of raw honey. Call JollyOllie at 1800 555-1212"
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 02-04-2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: again

I have never used slumgum to bait a trap. I don't think it would hurt any but I think the comb should still be in trap. I have seen people melt wax into their traps. I can't say if it helped or hurt. Now as far as the scent. I've used a cotton balls and q-tips and haven't noticed much difference. I personally check my trap every couple weeks after swarm season starts. And I do rebait the scents in trap (queen lure, Lemongrass). Not sure that it is necessary but I do it. For no more than I have invested in the lures why not?
    http://honeycomb-hill-beekeeping.blo...-trapping.html

how many frames of old brood does it take? one? two? what about the space? If I use a full size deep brood chamber what do you load it with? Nuc, what do you load it with? Maybe like 2 brood and 2 foundation or what?

I load both my 6 and 8 frame traps with only one old brood comb. The rest foundation less frames. For your setup i would only use one. Hang them so the box is level. Then just wait for it to happen.
    Jason Bruns
    LetMBee.com YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by flyingbrass View Post
    how many frames of old brood does it take? one? two? what about the space?
    Here is how I do it.

I use old 10 frame equipment exclusively. Old equipment that is ready to be thrown away. Entrance cut down to about 4 inch width, and 3/8 height. (That keeps out mice. I leave mine out all year.

I place mine primarily on blue plastic tubs that are about 2 1/2 ft. tall and 2 foot in diameter. I do that because I can get all I want, and mice can't climb up the sides of the plastic tubs. I do place a few in deer stands in the woods, and sometimes on just big rocks out in the woods or at the edges of fields.

If box has holes, just nail a piece of wood over the hole on the outside. Doesn't matter what it looks like.

I normally put two frames of old dark comb, and one frame of starter wax. The remainder is left open. I use the starter wax to discourage them from dropping a comb beyond the starter wax, if I don't check them often enough and they spend some time in the trap before I find them. After they move in, I fill the trap with a couple more drawn combs and the remainder starter wax and leave it for 10-12 days. Then remove the frames from the trap, place swarm in a nice, clean, box and move to one of my yards. Then set the catcher box back up again with two dark combs and one starter wax.

I use 4-5 drops of lemongrass oil, one drop on the landing board, one on the bottom board near the rear under the dark comb, and one drop on each top bar. I refresh the lemongrass oil in 30-45 days if they haven't caught anything. We often get late swarms, as late as August and September.

cchoganjr

Flyingbrass, I've heard that some folks put a piece of old comb, not even a whole frame. The old brood comb just has the smell of bees, so any amount is better than none. It seems that LGO is more important than brood comb. I say that based on the results of folks just using brood comb versus just using LGO. The combo is probably better though than just one or the other though.

Eventually old comb should be culled from the hives, and swarm traps make the most sense.

I have my best luck with deeps. I have tried nucs with little success. If the space is not right for them you are wasting your time.
    As far as a number of old brood frames I usually use at least 3 in each trap. Then fill it the rest of the way with frames of foundation. I bait it with queen lure and lemon-grass oil on a cotton ball. Good Luck!