Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: swarm trapping

Default Re: swarm trapping

Yeah he gave them back trap and all. When we saw bees coming and going from the trap, he said let's take it down and if there's a marked queen in there then we'll play like they're yours.

Sounds like you got a cool bee friend out of the deal. If you're not careful he might teach you a few things.
    When you stop learning you're dead.

Now that is a great outcome.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

> Everyone said he was an old grump but he's actually a great old guy.

Must have been me.

Here is a pic of my swarm traps made using most everything I could from Dr. Seely's book "Honeybee Democracy!"

traps-1.JPG

Keth,

I like the paint job on those. Good hunting.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I did a little experiment with one of the Coates nucs built with BC exterior plywood. The box went outside to see how it stood up against the weather. Even with 3 coats of a very good quality (miss-tinted) exterior paint on the top, I started to get some plywood swelling after the first rain. Not bad, just enough that it bothered me... and it was still raining so I had nothing better to do.

Had part of a roll of brown aluminum flashing in the shop, I now have covered tops and no swelling. The camo is clove brown solid stain over the miss-tinted base coat... the flashing on the lid is then over painted with the box color. It's hard to see in the pic but the miss-tint is a tan-gray that kind of blends in with everything... kind of a driftwood meets dead grass color. At $4 for the gallon, I figured I couldn't go wrong!

Swarm Traps.jpg
    Seth

That is a good idea with the flashing. I have a sheet of galvanized laying around that should cover all my traps lids. Yet another project!

The ideas are just getting better and better! Beautiful camo Keth! Nice job with the flashing Seth!

Gypsi
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Seth,

How do you bend the flashing down over the edges of the lid? Will a rubber mallet work?

Regards, Barry

Barry,

Easy diagram for bend cuts in the flashing, thanks!

Charlie B.

A rubber mallet will work, your bends might not look perfect but he bees won't care and it will still shed water fine. I have a cheap sheetmetal break that I picked up from Harbor Freight. You wouldn't want to go into production with my break, but i is fine for the occasional piece of flashing.

Someone mentioned about printing plates from the paper... very good idea. I have made a couple of telescoping covers for 10 frames using narrow flashing. I just made the metal in two pieces, coated the seam with RTV silicone and added a strip of cedar to cover the seam. Actually, the one on my hive right now is one of these with 2 inches of blue foam insulation inside.
    Seth

beyondthesidewalks....Gorilla tape is pricey, but, if you need a tape that will hold, virtually waterproof, stick to anything, Gorilla tape is the way to go. I don't think you would be disappointed.

My problem with screws is that when using lots of nucs, the screw holes will not interchange on the lids and boxes.

cchoganjr

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234