Thread: swarm trapping

Hybrid View

Default swarm trapping

Howdy, I'm New to the forum and have a couple of questions.
    1. What is the cheapest type of trap? I was going to use cardboard nuc boxes but if someone knows of something cheaper I'll try anything.
    2. I don't have very many frames of brood comb but I want to put out several traps so would one frame of comb and 4 frames of foundation with lemongrass oil per trap work?

Default Re: swarm trapping

One of the best traps I ever "had" was an old refrigerator someone left out in the brush. It matters little on the type , but I'll say make sure the cavity is of good size. I've experimented with nuc traps. I've put a lot out and I have caught swarms in them but I think bees prefer a bigger cavity. Do you have any old boxes lying around. You don't have to fill them all the way up just a few frames. I've always had better luck with wet frames than with dry and I've never had any luck with any oils or lures. At least not in my area. I believe they do sell a swarm trap but you'd have to monitor it often and probably do a cut out in the end. There is a trap shaped like a nuc made out of that paper stuff that you can fit frames in. A little searching around and i'm sure you'll find a place that still sells them. good luck

From what I've read, foundation would be a waste of time in a swarm trap. The comb is a great lure and helps the swarm get off to a fast start.

Reese..

I don't think your going to find anything "cheaper" than cardboard. I would advise using some old deep supers and a frame of comb if you have any. Cardboard for obvious reasons doesn't hold up very well to weathered conditions. Most of my swarms have been caught in a standard deep box as opposed to a 5 frame nuc, but you never know. A swarm lure never hurts either. Don't think cheap, think creative.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Go to the "Build I Yourself" section of the home page and use the 5 frame nuc plans of D. A. Cotes. The result will be cheap and durable.

That is D. Coates. Sorry for that Mr. Coates.