Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: making your own inner covers

I saw some hive top feeders that hold jars, they were made from 7/16" osb. So I made a handful of inner covers with 7/16 osb. I made a pine outer rim. The outer rim has to be a bit thicker, but its basically the same. Not too heavy, but heavy duty. Cut a few jar holes, and the jar lid is almost the same thickness as the osb. So there is no need to thicken it up to hold jars. I used em all last year and my opinion they are good.

Rob

Is there a reason for the hole to be in the middle? Why not cut it near a side, front or back? That would help prevent warping from a jar over the hole. Or why not have 2 or more holes-put a jar over one while the other would still allow ventailation.

I've done just that this year. I still cut the typical center hole but also added 2 - 1 1/4" holes to allow feeding while not blocking ventilation. They haven't been place on hives yet but I'm trying them out.

Mike
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 02-07-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: UNQ
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

Is there a reason for the hole to be in the middle?

A bee escape SHOULD fit perfectly in the oval slot. We place a feeder pail over the slot in the fall.

Crazy Roland

I dont even put a hole in the center, I just put a triangle escape over one of the jar holes. The only inner cover I ever had to warp got wet & was one of the luan kind. I cant remember one warping from the weight of the feeder jars. I would think if you are cutting the holes yourself, you can put em where ever you think is best. Personally, I like to put them as close to the end as possible, then it gives me a little extra room to hide an extra gallon jug of sugar water .

The propped lid on the inner cover is also helpful in winter for adding food to the top bars and viewing the girls without disruption.
    Last edited by woodguyrob; 02-10-2012 at 04:58 AM. Reason: additional comment

I just made 30 of these all season inner covers.

https://www.honeyrunapiaries.com/sto...es/4season.gif

I haven't drilled any holes in them yet. I plan to use them as inner covers, hive top feeders, and winter insulation.
    My concern is that there is 3/8" below the plywood. That seems a little too much for an inner cover. I may cute that down if they do too much comb building between the frame tops and inner cover. It does leave a nice gap for a pollen patty though.

When you build your inner covers, what type of outer covers do you guys use? I have tried to build a few myself. Its better for me to just purchase some. I do favor those foam beemax telescoping outer covers. I am trying to use more 8 frame wooden ware. I have to use a 10 frame beemax TOC because I guess they dont make one for the 8 frames. They make an eight frame foam feeder, but no outer cover. So, anyway, what your favorite outer covers?

Rob

My brother and I are going to be making wooden outer covers with metal caps this year for all our hives. We are not impressed with the plastic covers from Kelley's -- his have cracked through in six or seven years and are leaking into the hive, and mine are warped so tight on the sides I'll have to cut them back to get them on a standard box.

Properly made (and we have access to a sheet metal brake) a metal top outer cover, properly painted, should last as long as you want to keep bees. Put some newspapers folded together in the center of the top board when applying the metal cover to cause it to bulge up a bit, this will eliminate standing water on the top.

Easy to make, should last forever (and I have tons of suitable wood in the garage from previously owning a sawmill), no reason to pay for them.

We will be making a sheet's worth of plywood inner covers as well. I like Kelley's, but with the materials at hand, there is no reason to buy them.

Peter

heaflaw...No..There is no reason to be in the middle. Here is a link to my photobucket. If you notice on photo, "hive top feeder" and "Stovall Singles", my feeders are not in the center. The first ones I made several years ago were in the center, but I changed, and now they are all about half way from the edge to the center.

http://s841.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=100_2110.jpg

cchoganjr

Sorry to hear about the Walter T Kelley outer covers. I used them many years ago. They used to be a lot thicker than the ones they sell now.
    I'm making my own outer covers now. Rather than use metal on the top, I'm using "Henry" brand "white isomeric roof coating" available from Home Depot in 5 gallon buckets. It rolls on with a thick nap roller and makes the top look like it is plastic. I figure it will be a lot easier to repair in years to come since I can just roll on a little more if needed.
    Nice hive stands Cleo! Are you a welder?

No..I am lots of things, but, a welder is not one of them. Perhaps 20 years or so ago, I bought everything an elderly, Preacher, Beekeeper had, when they had to move him into a Nursing Home. He wanted me to take over everything he had. His entire family was in the oil well business, and they had several welders on the staff. When they were not busy, he would have them use 2 inch, thickwall pipe, and make bee stands. I have about 15 of these stands and they hold 3, 4, or 5, hives each. Wish I had another 20. His welders did a great job, fitting and welding them. He had about 35 of these stands, but I let several local beekeepers have some of them. cchoganjr
    Last edited by Cleo C. Hogan Jr; 02-13-2012 at 05:21 AM.

Attachment 1247I know this is an old picture because the hive handles are still the dato cut rather than the Hogan hand jig ones I have been using. It does show how I used the full length of the board, put some exterior plywood into the box and when I cut the hive to depth I had an inner cover and a hive body. zero waste.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

>Rather than use metal on the top, I'm using "Henry" brand "white isomeric roof coating"

An update; This roof coating isn't working out. It's too thin, even with 3 coats, to stop moisture.

Don, the roof coating is used to coat an existing roof...not to create a roof. If you can find someone installing rubber roofing (commercial buildings mostly) that material would make great covers. Old billboard material that has been removed would work, too, but not as well as the rubber roofing. Use the coating on either of these and you'd have a better roof on your hives than you than a lot of folks have on their houses.

Ed

Thanks for the tip Ed!
    I turned down a offer for some free rubber roofing awhile back because it was black. I'll see if that offer is still good.

Quote Originally Posted by OzarkMountainMan View Post
    Howdy

I use 3/8 plywood. My rims are 7/8 x 1 1/2. Since they are 1 1/2" I just rip them from whatever 2x stock I have. Then glue and staple plywood into dado. I have no warping and no problems with expansion or contraction. Rather than an oblong center hole, I cut the hole to fit a feeder jar.

Good Luck
    I'm planning on making about 10 inner covers and I'm not sure how I want to make them. I like the way Brushy Mountain makes them with the 3/8" plywood but I'm wondering since the 3/8" plywood sits flush with the pine there is no ""bee space". I've also seen where you take 1/4" material and cut a groove in the center of a piece of 5/8" pine giving "bee space" of 3/16". How important is the bee space?

Thanks, Steve

Does anyone have any input on this? Thanks!!

It's done all ways. With bee space on top and without bee space on top. Bees don't mind either way. Your preference.

Here's how I make mine: http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...ngstroth-hive/
    Regards, Barry

My inner covers...1/2"plywood body, pine rim. Flat on one side, 3/4" space on other side.

Cut out and mill rims

Glue

Assemble