Hybrid View

Default making your own inner covers

I build all my own woodenware except for frames because I can build it for about a third of what you can buy it for out of the catalogs. I am not happy with my inner covers though, I built them out of masonite and just tacked and glued a rim on both sides, and cut the elongated hole in the cover. However the masonite soon warps when put on the hive so what you end up with is a bow either upwards or downwards and creates problems. If it warps upwards then the bees have a hard time accessing the top of the cover (because of the larger bee space) for when I feed an inverted jar. If it warps downward then the bee space is virtually nothing and the bees cannot cross the tops of the centermost frames with the inner cover on, also when you put the inner cover back on after doing an inspection it will crush a bunch of bees.
    For those of you who build your own inner covers, what do you build them out of? Looking for something that will not warp to eliminate the problems I am having with mine. Thanks. John

Default Re: making your own inner covers

I use 1/4" Luan plywood.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

I use 1/4 inch luan.
    BB's Honey
    www.bbshoney.com

So do you just glue on a rim when using the luan?

jmgi

I buy sheets of 3/8" plywood for the panels and buy the cedar replacment rails for $4.25 each. They are pretty easy to glue up and staple. I think I get 13 panels from each sheet of plywood so the coast is about $66.50 for 13 inner covers or $5.11 each. They are very sturdy and you never have to worry about them warping.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

For the rim I rip a 5/8" by 3/4" strip and cut a 1/4" groove in the center of the 5/8" side. The plywood is inserted into the groove. This give a 3/16 inch space on each side.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

ralittlefield, do you glue the plywood into the groove or just let it float in there for contraction/expansion? Thanks. John

1/4-5/16" white cedar, usually 2 boards, sometimes 3, just but them no glue (its common scrap for me). 3/4" cedar or oak rim with dado and glue.

If I have it, good 1/4" fir ply works too. But most now is crap and prone to severe cupping/twisting.

Does anyone have any input on this? Thanks!!

It's done all ways. With bee space on top and without bee space on top. Bees don't mind either way. Your preference.

Here's how I make mine: http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...ngstroth-hive/
    Regards, Barry

My inner covers...1/2"plywood body, pine rim. Flat on one side, 3/4" space on other side.

Cut out and mill rims

Glue

Assemble

Thank you for the last two post.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    My inner covers...1/2"plywood body, pine rim. Flat on one side, 3/4" space on other side.
    Why do you have the 3/4" space on the one side, do you use it for feeding? What are some different scenarios where you would use the cover with the flat side up and then other times with the flat side down?

Do you mill the ventilation/entrance notch on both side or just one?

Thanks again, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by hig View Post
    Why do you have the 3/4" space on the one side, do you use it for feeding? What are some different scenarios where you would use the cover with the flat side up and then other times with the flat side down?

Do you mill the ventilation/entrance notch on both side or just one?

Thanks again, Steve
    The 3/4" side is for feeding pollen sub or fondant, or for wintering. Entrance notch on one side. Flat side down from spring to fall. Recessed side down after the last supers are removed in September, to when the first supers are added in April.