Thread: smart meters

Default smart meters

This is a very hot topic here in BC right now.
    I just want to get an idea what the general concensus is.
    Just a good, bad, dont know or dont care, please.
    Im not looking for a lecture or anything, just a feel.
    justachick

Default Re: smart meters

What's a smart meter?

TP
    There must be a harder way to do that... let me find it for you.

Smart meters are what hydro (electric) is replacing the analog meters with. They transmit information on a continuous basis to a tower receiver, usually 200 meters on one tower.
    google smart meters to check it out if you want more info. I dont want to sway any opinions or even hear them. I just want to gather info for now. It started in California and there is some chat that the waves emitted have a very negative effect on bees
    and it depends on how I feel!!
    justachick

The power company around here uses the meters you are referring to as "smart meters". They enable remote reading, so the meter reader can avoid coming onto each property. The devices around here use neighboring meters to form an "ad hoc" network. Each meter acts as a repeater for those around it, so there isn't a central tower as far as I know.

These devices are very low power radios, and and unlikely to have an effect on bees or people. I have no complaints about these meters.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I have a smart meter - no complaints.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

My indoor Observation Hive is only a couple of feet from my smart meter. I have a few hives near the house. No complaints.

I work with them and there is much misinformation out there, especially on the internet. The meters we use only put out about 420 milliwatts, about the same as WiFi router that you might put in your home. Cell phones, baby monitors, wireless phones and microwave ovens put out much more power and they are in your home as opposed to outside. Check your numbers on how many meters report to a tower. They sound a little off to me unless you live very rural like me.
    When you stop learning you're dead.

There is typically a reward incentive for these meters in exchange for a utility to control them, generally to shave peaking. The reward is often in the form of rates or other incentives. My thoughts: no reward - not good, but maybe not bad / some reward - good. The reasons utilities want to incorporate them- controlling peak usage moments to reduce rates and electrical costs and/or for emergency shut downs in event of substation, overload or transformer, power supply, etc. problems. You did not want a lecture, so that's a very short response as to why they are becoming popular and here is my short answer: Ask your utility if there is a rate incentive or other benefit from having the smart meter, then you can decide for yourself.

For example- our utility offers incentive rates for irrigation, oil field, and other large motor load customers in exchange for the opportunity to shut down the system with some advance notice, in times of high peak usage or other power supply situations. The rates are more atractive than standard rates, but the customer runs the risk of being shut down up to a specified number of intervals each irrigation season or year.
    Last edited by Swobee; 02-01-2012 at 09:51 PM.
    Don't confuse me with facts... my mind is made up.

Bad, bad, bad idea.
    Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Taken!

I gess I have one complaint. I discovered I had a smart meter
    When I changed power companies. Guess the dogs were in the
    House and I wasn't home when they changed my meter.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Swobee View Post
    The reasons utilities want to incorporate them- controlling peak usage moments to reduce rates and electrical costs and/or for emergency shut downs in event of substation, overload or transformer, power supply, etc. problems.
    The price of electricity fluctuates during the day (and night). Utilities are wanting to start charging more during peak usage times and less during off hours. That is another use of the smart meter. Coming soon to a utility near you.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Wink Re: smart meters

Where I live the price remains static 24 hours a day but from what I understand this is one of the reasons they want the smart meters. So all stay-at-homes or work-at-homes will be charged more their electricity usage. I guess that means all moms will have to do laundry at night and we will all have to wait until after 8pm to shower. Wait a minute, wouldnt that change the peak hours? hahaha
    justachic

Quote Originally Posted by justachick View Post
    Where I live the price remains static 24 hours a day but from what I understand this is one of the reasons they want the smart meters. So all stay-at-homes or work-at-homes will be charged more their electricity usage. I guess that means all moms will have to do laundry at night and we will all have to wait until after 8pm to shower. Wait a minute, wouldnt that change the peak hours? hahaha
    justachic
    You're more right than you realize. In the summer, the peak is around 6 to 8 pm. The hottest part of the day, plus people cooking supper, etc. Air conditioning is the biggest factor in the summer time, so I don't think laundry would change it that much (although electric clothes dryers take a lot of juice). In the winter, the peak is around 6 to 8 am because of heating.

The big worry now is if electric cars are going to become popular and the load they will put on the grid. Hopefully, most people will charge them overnight when the load is lower. But all that you keep reading about smart grids and the need to improve the grid, etc., is on the minds of many utilities.

But if they can charge the consumer more for usage during higher demand times, I'm sure they're going to do that, too.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/