Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: BeeMax deep quad mini mating nuc and swarm box pics

Thanks Mbeck..And thanks to those that sent me messages.

I have used several mating nucs this last year and will submit a post in the near future about assembly, design and size pros and cons, etc. They all worked well, but I have to say the fence hanging mini with 5- half deep frames was the perfect size for a strong mini colony,large enough to stay warm in my cool springtime climate but not so big it was time consuming to find the Queens..and Looking for the queens while standing upright was a blessing for my back. I'll post a pic for those that have not seen them. The window was neat, but I never used it except to take this photos and it was time consuming to add the window.

The only trouble I had with these was the earwigs liked to congregate between the fence board and the box. They never bothered the bees though, just bothered me.

I added the disk excluders to have control over robbers if I needed to feed.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Miller...56954971040510
    Last edited by Lauri; 11-19-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Lauri, that looks like a hungry bunch your feeding, great thread. Thanks for the info.

Laurie,

Thanks , I enjoy your nuc designs!

Joe
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

Those are slick I did like the idea.
    Do you find it a pain to deal with all the extra odd size frames that mating Nucs demand.
    The smaller Nucs are efficient for larger volume but considering the extra cost and inability to blend the equipment back in is a problem unless you have a portion of you operation totally committed to raising queens.
    What number of queens do you think makes the extra odd gear worth it?

I raise them in Nucs or partitioned Deeps.

Nucs and divided deeps work great too. I do like handling the mini frames and don't mind the extra equipment. I cut full sized frames and mill them down to mini size, but make them 9 1/4" instead of the standard 9 1/8" length. They just seem to fit the quad box's better. Could even be 9 3/16" in some cases. That dosen't seem like much difference, but it keeps them from falling off one side of the shelf or the other with the right amount of bee space along side the frame.
    Heres a colony on one side of a divided Dadant deep box. With a 3/4" divider-with a shelf routed out on each side to hold the frame ends, a 9 1/8" mini frame would fall off the side.

I got these Dadant deeps to overwinter the quads, but at the last minute chickened out and combined them for two colonies in each box instead of four. I'll let you know how they overwinter in a few months.
    That mini frame you see in the center of the colony, is this feeding frame. They loved it. Many of these mini frames had a 3# package installed on undrawn comb except for the feed frame. Those wire wrapped frames seemed to become an importaint part of the broodnest that they congregated around the whole season.

I also liked my breeder queens installed on the mini frames. Made taking out a frame for grafting seem less intrusive than removing a large frame and easier to find just the right age and amount of larva.

Here is that same Dadant divided box in the fall:
    Last edited by Lauri; 11-19-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Hey, I tie flies! I'll pay postage for some feathers. I skin all my ducks whole for either mounting later or complete skins for tying. The flanks and the 'bronze mallard' flank on the back would be greatly appreciated along with some well paired wings (need left and right wings). Flank should be paired as well, but it's easy to sort through, need to make the antennae curve right like this:

Caddis emerger I developed

Larva form

Using the wings for brushes is great, all the old vids show people using goose or duck wings/feathers.

JRG13, very nice work! Why don't you PM me with your name and address and I'll hang onto it until We get some new birds.
    Do you have any use for rex rabbit skins? I have several that are dried and treated I hoped to let someone take if they can use them. Most of the colors are brown or castor as they call it.

Lauri,
    Loved the photobucket slide show! I live the queenmating nuc too.

Yes, rabbit makes great dubbing, typically hare's ear or the 'mask' is used. The rest can be used as 'strips' for making streamers etc... I would gladly compensate you if you're not using them for anything else. I'll send a pm.

Lauri, thanks for taking the time to post and share your photos with us. As for the lean high quailty free range protein you are feeding you and your kids. Good for you!! Every fall I walk into the woods and hunt to fill our freezers with meat. Other then hamburger patties and the occasional ribeye we don't eat beef. All our red meat comes from the woods and most coming from my grandfathers woods that have been in our family for over 200 years. It is very spiritual for me to utilize such a wonderful renewable resource each and every year. Good luck in the field!

JRG13 Beautiful!!!

Thanks Pine,

When I have some time, I may try a realistic bee at some point.

I ran across this photo of those mating nucs in the raspberries. You can hang them anywhere, not just on a fence.

For those that are interested, I just got back from a Mule Deer Archery hunt in Eastern Wa. You can see photos on my facebook page. WARNING, Graphic photos! If you don't want to see, DON'T LOOK.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Miller...56954971040510
    Last edited by Lauri; 11-27-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12