Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BeeMax deep quad mini mating nuc and swarm box pics

I put this under the queen rearing catagory because of the quad box. No new ideas here, but some that may want to build there own may want to see the assembly.
    They can email me for still photos or questions.

Slideshow:
    http://s425.photobucket.com/albums/p...1&t=1328133221

Burned deep box is for swarm collection. First on the slide show is that box with LOTS of Ventilation for possibly hot and angry bees. Just use a ratchet strap to secure the assembly. Note the bottom board has corners to keep the deep box in place.

The Dadant hive bodies needed the frame shelf raised quite a bit to use deep frames. I was surprised. I have never heard of them needing that.There is not much info on the internet about them. I installed about a 3/8" wood shim and then the plastic protector that came with them. Otherwise the deep frame hung past the bottom about 1/2 "
    Top feeder or vent holes are screened. To use them as feeders add an empty box over the feeders, then the top. To use as vents just shim the top slightly to allow air flow.
    I am using purchased nuc entrance reducers, but you could keep the 3 1/3" cut out from the feeding holes, drill you own holes for entrance control.

I looked long and hard at premade styrofoam mini nuc box's and quads, but they were ether not what I wanted or shipping was too much. The Dadant's deep box's were not too bad shipping on 12 deeps was $64.00 and I bought a few extra to sell to help pay for mine.
    They are time consuming to divide and make all the frames, but now that the first one is complete, I can whip through the rest a lot faster. Good projects for winter time. Spring will be here before you know it.
    Last edited by Lauri; 02-01-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Default Re: BeeMax deep quad mini mating nuc and swarm box pics

After browsing the photo gallery, I've decided that you have too much free time to decorate the hives. *grins*

With that said, have you tried out the 3-frame long hive/mating nucs? I was curious how well those would work, but haven't tried yet.

I have not tried them yet. Just made them recently. I can't wait for spring though.
    Although I try to think of everything, but once they are in use I usually see room for improvement in the designs.
    I like the long hive nuc and with some thought in the layout, I could easily be a multi use piece of equipment.
    Last edited by Lauri; 02-01-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Really nice!

I added a few photos to the slideshow.
    Showing the modified standard box with 1x2's to make the outside measurement fit the Beemax bottom body-so you can use quart sized glass jars for feeding.

I covered the migratory style top with aluminum to keep out wet weather OUT. Even sealed wood covers still leak a touch.

Or cover them with a rubber mat:

Curious what is that pan looking thing under the hive?

That is my cart

Here is what I was talking about with the frame rest

And heres how I fixed it. About 3/8" piece of wood glued to shelf, then glue on plastic protector. Raised it up to proper height.

Last edited by Lauri; 02-02-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Hi Lauri, just wondering how these boxes worked out over the season? I know that there are a lot of people using similar in wood but I'm considering the possibility of doing the same sort of conversion on a few European poly hive bodies.

Don't think much of your collection of bird's wings shown in you photos. Is it something you are proud of and want to show off?

Olympic, It is Photo bucket and so she probably has them showing in one big library and they all pop up as you scroll through...Take the fact she is showing us her setup on her bees as very nice and gives people that want to do the same a great example. Plus as a hunter i see nothing wrong with it on her own photo collection to show whatever she wants Dont like dont look and dont complain!

Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Don't think much of your collection of bird's wings shown in you photos. Is it something you are proud of and want to show off?

Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Really? This is your responce to my OP about building mating nucs? Since the duck wings did not appear in any of the posted photos, I agree with Zier64, you must have looked through my photo bucket site. Although they do pertain to beekeeping.

So I guess my responce to you is: Yup, I murder as many ducks and geese as I can, tear off the bloody wings with my teeth and dance around them thinking what a great hunter I am. Out of over 2500 pictures on my photo bucket account of gardening, beekeeping, wood working, horses, hunting and fishing, game processing and cooking recipes, I can see you drew that conclusion without a doubt from a single photo.

Oh yes, by the way, duck and goose wings are for brushing bees off frames. Nice to have a use for the carcass of a game animal that would otherwise be thrown away. Once you use a wing you'd never go back to a brush. I wish I knew someone who tied flies. Those greenheads are beautiful.

Here is one of my Murdering accomplices:

Heres my last deer in the spaghetti sauce pot. LOL, Looks like showing off to me. I'll be tearing my teeth into this too

And here is why we eat meat..six kids and all their friends. None of us wants to be poisened by store bought food.

SO next time you go get a hamburger at McDonalds, remember this is probably what you are eating.

Don't insinuate I am cruel to animals when you know nothing about me, and I expect YOU are NOT a vegetarian.
    Last edited by Lauri; 11-19-2012 at 09:07 AM.

I appreciate the fact you showed us all a traditional bee brush. It's great that you feed your family local sustainable protein.

I don't think much of that particular brand of carbon arrow or the vanes it's fletched with but to each his/her own!!!

That's an Easton Acc 339 with a rubber blunt. The vanes are flex fletch, which I liked but were a bit of a pain to install. We use AAE Max Hunters now and like them better. Four fletched for broadhead use.
    There are so many carbon arrows available now, I've stuck with Easton Acc's for over 25 years.

Which carbons are you using?

I got the idea for the wing brush from the many European Beekeeping videos I've watched.
    Last edited by Lauri; 11-19-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Laurie,

Thanks for sharing the information and the pictures.

I see you used starter strips of plastic foundation in your half frames with what looks like a “skewer” through the lower holes for the bees to build the comb around for support. Is this correct? If so, how did that work for you and do you happen to have any pictures of the comb built around the skewers to share?

Thanks,
    Joe
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

Pathetic!

Lauri,

Great pics! thanks for sharing...

John

Hi Joe, here is a link to the thread where I posted a few pics addressing that issue.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...971#post866971
    The skewers worked well in certain applications and were so easy to install.

Here are 9 1/4" deep frames with skewers in a swarm trap, partially drawn and occupied:

The horizontal design of the foundation was nothing I would do again. ( As shown in the OP)A straight cut quarter or half sheet is better. But anytime the bees came to a change in within the frame they switched over to large cell comb. It was interesting, but not what I was looking for in some areas of the hive.

In comparison, here is a full sheet (Cut in half) of black rite cell in the 9 1/4" deep frame. I didn't do any totally foundationless-so don't have photos to show of that. I cut my foundation on the compound miter saw..about 10 at a time, trim off the corners and slip them into the frames.

And then drawn out an occupied.

Here is another way I got the mini frames drawn out for mini mating nucs, and then to overwinter in the fall. I ran the 19 7/8" side of a 10 frame box on the router before assembly to make a ledge on one side, added a divider board just off center to hold the other side of the frames. Room for a good sized feeder and a frame or two of pollen. This worked great since I could use it in combination with standard hives. The frames were different directions, but they drew them out beautifully.

This fall I combined a few mini mating nucs into this box, then added standard frames of honey in a box above them.
    This would work well an an 8 frame deep..room for a 1 1/2 gallon mann lake interior feeder. You can run assembled box's on the router too to make your ledge for the mini frames, you'll just see a few sparks if the router blade nips the staples in the top. (I use small crown staples, NOT nails)

Here is a pic of a regular deep frame with a half sheet of black rite cell. It worked well, supported the comb and saved me a bit of $$ by stretching the foundation costs. Half foundationless and half foundation with the benifets of both. Someone on Beesourse said it had Yin and Yang..LOL.
    Last edited by Lauri; 11-19-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Is that a picture of a hamburger BUN?? What about all those people with gluten sensitivity!!

C.E. Maxi w/ blazer vanes, made in Korea but I'm like most stuck on what works.

Pathetic, is a strong word for to call someone's choice in archery tackle.

The photos you post are helpful, and even though some don't comment I'm sure your ingenuity is appreciated by nearly all. You're creative and your post are helpful. It's rotten to take a stab at someone that is trying to share.
    I'm struggling with what to use for mating Nucs too many choices!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast