Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Langstroth: Top Hive Entrances

I've been looking at Michael Bush's web page and really like the idea behind the top hive entrances. Why aren't more people doing beekeeping in this way? It just seems to make sense.

Default Re: Langstroth: Top Hive Entrances

Well, bottom entrances do work. And have for a long time. And, I think people in general are just resistant to change. Having said that, my new starts will all have top entrances this year, and if I like them, they will all have them next year. As you said, it just seem to make sense.

And besides, equipment suppliers want to sell all they can. That's why they are in business.
    Integrity - Doing the right thing when no one is watching.

>I've been looking at Michael Bush's web page and really like the idea behind the top hive entrances. Why aren't more people doing beekeeping in this way? It just seems to make sense.

It never crossed my mind until the skunks forced me to it. I never thought of all the advantages until I was doing it...

People need a reason to change.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I started out with both top and bottom entrances because the bottom entrance would plug with dead bees over winter and the bees needed an escape if they happened to get a flying day. It has always worked well for me to have both. I never thought of not having one to fight skunks! I used more direct but labor intense means to deal with them. No bottom entrance might have been better. When the skunks find me, my bees may lose their bottom opening.

The only issue I have had with top entrances is that it can be a little intimidating to the newbee when working the hive. You have all the returning foragers basically in your face looking for their missing top entrance. After a while you get used to dealing with it.

Am concerned somewhat about entrance area/opening for incoming air. If one closes or removes the front bottom entrance, trust one has to open up the SBB. Any concerns about too much draft and cooling of brood????

Had some problems last year with fully open front bottom entrances and solid bottoms, as the bees chose to not draw out the foundation on bottom half of bottom frames.

Thank you for the great discussion. I love soaking up whatever experience may help keep my bees safe, warm, healthy and happy!
    Hilreal:The bees in the face don't bother me entirely; I'm still to afraid to not suit up!

Huber shows several experiments on the subject of ventilation and came to this conclusion:

"We tried increasing the number of openings in the side of the box, but were not successful. One of the two candles went out at the end of 8 minutes. The other kept alight as long as the ventilator was in motion. I had therefore not obtained a stronger current by multiplying the openings."--Francis Huber, New Observations Upon Bees, Volume II, Chapter VIII, On the Respiration of Bees

I think we are often mistaken in our assumptions on ventilation.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have two entrance in winter, in summer I screen off the top so they enter from bottom only, the reason for this, bees filled too
    many frames with pollen in honey super, [above two deep with excluder.]

Konrad brings up a good point Michael, do you find more pollen in your honey supers using open top entrances?

Konrad, can I ask how large your upper opening is?

Some colonies put pollen everywhere but most tends to be stored low at least in my area and in my experieince. It usually doesn't spin out when extracting and if it does, it is not a problem. But it is all local. I have no idea what your bees will do.

A number of years ago a gentleman patented a moveable hive top entrance. It is a box filled in (similar to Honey Runn's insulated inner cover) with an opening. I am a sucker to try new things and bought a few to try. The theory is that you place this box above the brood chamber and then place the honey supers on top. No bottom entrance. I tried it with mixed success. When I use it now I just keep moving the top entrance up on top of the honey supers. Does provide good ventilation. I am not sure if it is still available for purchase or not. http://www.google.com/patents/US6450858

I'm interested in trying a top entrance to avoid the pile of dead bees blocking the entrance during winter.

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

Would the moveable entrance "super" work very well as pateneted? Seems similar to placing an inner cover separating brood area from honey supers.

If it is a strong hive boiling with bees just offset the super so there is a 1/4 inch gap front and back. No extra equipment needed.

Quote Originally Posted by hilreal View Post
    After a while you get used to dealing with it.
    Teaches you to be more efficient too.

Quote Originally Posted by mgolden View Post
    trust one has to open up the SBB.
    Not necessary and not very helpful as you found out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgolden View Post
    Would the moveable entrance "super" work very well as pateneted?
    Should I get a patent?
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

>Konrad brings up a good point Michael, do you find more pollen in your honey supers using open top entrances?

Some bees put pollen all over, most put it in the brood nest where they use it.

What flaw does experience point out to have an entrance at the top of the brood boxes, and under the subsequent honey supers?

ie in a piece similar to a top cover.
    Trying techniques that I doubt will work because I like to be right!

I was first skeptical that the bees would go both down and up despite the inventor saying it wasn't a problem, but when I tried them they didn't seem to have any problem. Though a clever idea it was just the issue of having to deal with another piece of equipment. I still use them but just keep them on top rather than in the middle. Some strains liked to propolize the bars in the entrance similar to what they will do sometimes with the drilled holes. Maybe I will give them another shot this summer.

This is the top entrance, notch in the hive cover, I added a landing board.
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...G_3736_1_1.jpg

A honey super frame with pollen, [I scraped some out]
    I surely don't like it when extracting these frames in my two frame extractor, I makes it go out of balance,... have too many wrecked frames, the pollen they don't take anymore, end up with still heavy super.
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...3595_1_1_1.jpg

For two years now I have bottom only entrance in summer and not one's I had one frame with pollen.

I have tried the super offset and bees wanted to glue it up.
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...G_7542_1_1.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast