Hybrid View

Smile Pillar Molds Advice

Hi Guys,

I've got some seamless metal molds, I've tried to make one a couple of times but seem to be having issues. I pour at 158 f. Keeps getting stuck, holding the molds up (24cm) tall, sealing the wick hole.

From what I've read in the forum room temperature can affect the mold, molds look like they need to be kept warm? Can molds of this nature be single poured?

Welcome any feedback, obviously not looking for your secrets just tips

Thanks
    Bright Eyes

Default Re: Pillar Molds Advice

Sounds like you have a metal mold that makes a 9-1/2" tall pillar candle. Is it 3" wide? I do not use metal molds so maybe someone else can be more specific with their help.

In the meantime, for this size mold you should probably have your wax hotter and the metal mold should probably be warmed a bit. Some people use a mold release on metals and some put them in the freezer later to help the candle pop out. Apparently a mold "putty" is used to seal the wick hole before pouring.

You will need to do fixing with the bigger candles molds, so, yes, you will need to top it up as the wax shrinks/cools.

From what I have read about the metal molds, I am glad I use the flex molds.

Yeah 3" wide with a flat top, I don't like the pointed top ones.

Interesting about pouring hotter, is there a specific reason?

Flex molds sound interesting, I just found some on Mannlake PM500 through to 504, have you or anyone used these? are they a flat top?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bright Eyes View Post
    Flex molds sound interesting, I just found some on Mannlake PM500 through to 504, have you or anyone used these? are they a flat top?

Thanks
    all their flex molds are very good quality and soooo much better results than the metal molds you'll never regret going with the flex...
    Honeydew

If you think flex molds (urethane) are good, try silicone molds........they're the best!!.......I find lots of them on Ebay. Penguin Molds (an Ebay seller) has lots of them........

Larry

I have used metal, flex, and silicone molds. Each has its advantages and all can be used successfully. Metal are the most challenging. You probably need to pour hotter- maybe 170 or so. This will result in fewer pour lines. Always use a mold release. I use a silicone spray. Place the mold on top of a moist sponge to prevent leakage thru the wick hole. Flex and silicone can be very expensive but if you are going to pour many candles the cost per candle becomes doable especially considering the ease of use and the many possibilities of different shapes.

There are times when metal molds work like a charm and there are times when you might as well watch TV. Don't know why!

Good luck.
    Candlaman