Default When can I treat for varroa, and what would be best this time of year?

I went to the bee yard and checked on my hives today. I have four hives, each in double deeps. Of the 4, 2 are booming, one is moderate, and the other only fair as it was a late season split. I noticed when cleaning off the white board beneath the weakest hive that there were a significant number of mites...maybe 50 or 60 in all. none of the others had any mites that I noticed. I treated all the hives with Apiguard in the late summer/ early fall, but this one seems to have a problem.

I have been considering using the MiteAway strips I have, as the temps have been in the 50's during the day (dropping to the 30's at night).

Should I treat this early? Should I treat ALL the hives to make sure I have a relatively low mite count going into build-up? SHould I use the miteaway strips (wonder if they cause a significant amount of die-off that would weaken the hives too much)...or should I wait until the temps are a little higher?

Would really appreciate some advice or insight here...

Thanks,

Joel

Default Re: When can I treat for varroa, and what would be best this time of year?

You have a drop of 50 or 60 mites in winter. If that is within 24 hours that's fine. If it's in three months, that's great.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Default Re: When can I treat for varroa, and what would be best this time of year?

The unseen Varroa mites:

Calvin Robinson has a great video that shows the mites on capped drone cells.
    The video has excellent clearity/resulution!
    http://www.wncbees.org/pests/VarroaVideo.cfm

He shows 6, six Varroa mites within one capped drone cell!
    Treat when you have double digit numbers!
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Here is another good video, from HAS in Frankfort KY 2007
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...9258595842918#
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by BEES4U View Post
    Treat when you have double digit numbers!
    And when temps are right for whatever product you use.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I know some people had issues but for me... MAQS worked fine. I used it during the hot summer (had 3 days of cloudy weather with temps below 92) but still very warm. I had no noticeable bee kill and no queen problems. That was my experience and may not be yours. If I was concerned about mites I probably would treat, do half and then the other half. This time of year, if you loose a queen you might not be able to get another ?
    Charlotte Anderson - SC Master Beekeeper
    "Obviously, my bees have not read the same beekeeping books as me !"