Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Behold, the Parker Cube Hive!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    The cube only refers to three square medium boxes. That's all it's ever meant.

Let's see, a square is a two dimensional shape, a cube is three dimensions, how would you define a square four dimensional object?
    Give me some TIME and I'll figure it out.

Three square medium boxes? So is it a "cube" hive or a "cubed" hive or a hive "cubed"? I would have thought that a cube hive would be one having all three dimnensions the same, Length, Wideth, and Depth. But, that's not necassarily what you have?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    Let's see, a square is a two dimensional shape, a cube is three dimensions, how would you define a square four dimensional object?
    How's this?

Tony P.
    There must be a harder way to do that... let me find it for you.

Update:

I was inspecting one of the cube hives recently and discovered that they had begun to build comb up from the bottom box, parallel with the frames in the bottom box, which of course means that the new comb was perpendicular to the frames in the top box. This hive only has two boxes so far.

So I pulled out the frames and scraped off the errant comb and replaced them in the box which I then turned to be parallel with the bottom box. So now I have one hive with the perpendicular setup and one with the parallel setup. It would seem from this to suggest that the bees would rather build new comb parallel with existing comb rather than perpendicularly.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Brother Adam liked the idea of a square hive. I think the only reason they are not in common use is weight & leverage - beekeeper convenience.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

They are significantly shorter for the same volume of hive and comb. The jury is still out on effective differences. I made eight mediums and one deep to share between two hives. The purpose of the deep is to facilitate the move from deeps to mediums. Eventually I'll probably cut down the deep. Or maybe not.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12