Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Craigs List Caveat

Wanted to share this with all:
    Ran an ad on Craigs list for Nucs. (ah what the heck right) Simple ad, taking orders for 20 Nucs with contact info. Upon response, advised payment upon pick up, I will contact in April with dates. I got this today:
    Hi,
    I'm glad it's still for sale. I'm going on a vacation to London but I
    will instruct my assistant to prepare and mail you your payment which
    I'm sure you will get it in about 5 - 7 business days. I'll add $30
    extra for the delay. Check/Money Order is the means I can pay you
    with. If this is acceptable by you, Send me your info i.e full name,
    mailing address and your phone number so payment can be mail out
    immediately.I will also make arrangement for pick-up which will be
    after you must have received and cashed the Check/Money Order..
    Awaiting your info
    Thanks

I'm sure I not telling anyone anything new, but I thought it worth sharing
    I wonder if the individual even knows what a Nuc is. OMG ! I wonder if they think it is a NUCulear device. Bet they ain't goin to London
    Rick

Default Re: Craigs List Caveat

It's a scammer. Don't reply.

Trying to sell my Harley and get stuff similar to this from Craiglist. Usually someone who says they are in the military and want to pay me on Paypal and they will have an agent pick up bike. Stopped even wasting my time with reply. Used to reply and tell them to PayPal money to agent and have them bring cash when they pickup bike. Never hear from them again after this.

I was thinking of sending them to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. for pick up, the big white house on the left Tell'em since they were so nice, it is for free Ask for the Lady of the house.
    We could watch it on CNN
    Last edited by Rick 1456; 01-28-2012 at 09:36 AM.

....yes, a scanner. I'd accept the payment, and tell whomever shows up for the pickup that the nuclear is the 4 story hive without a bottom board....then film the fun.
    deknow

I get the same thing often when I sell things on craigslist. Very irritating and sometimes they are persistent and continue. They are pretty easy to spot after you see one though and just as easy to ignore.

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

I only list a phone number on Craigslist, if they don't call, I don't reply.

Often the scam is just trying to get email addresses for bulk mail lists.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

I would use a disposable email address for initial contacts and only provide a phone number after receiving a serious response.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I actually have had seven orders that really seem legit. Only been two days. If they bug out on me, I really don't think I'll have trouble finding new homes for the bees.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick 1456 View Post
    I actually have had seven orders that really seem legit. Only been two days. If they bug out on me, I really don't think I'll have trouble finding new homes for the bees.
    I would agree with you. Even with the high number of flakes I still do pretty well selling just about anything on craigslist.

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

Just for curiosity sake why would you not take the paypal payment. Granted someone can send you a fake paypal page, but all you have to do is check your paypal account and that will tell you if its actually been paid. It also would not be unusual for someone to have another pick up an item for them. You may not have a paypal account but once they give you their acceptance they have instant pay in their accounts. I have never been scammed by someone paying from paypal. Granted though one must be careful.

Nantom,

Its the usual scam, person says they cannot pick-up item because they are over seas, on a marine research vessel, yada yada yada. They say they will pay with Paypal and have someone else pickup the item. Person picks up the item and the scammer ends up saying they never received the item and Paypal with draws funds from your account claiming a botched deal, meanwhile the scammer sells what ever they got from you and make out like, well, a bandit!

My mother put her 5th wheel trailer on CL recently and just had the same scam happen, I told her to just not reply or anything.

A lot of high tech crimes/scams out there.........its simple, accept only cash and if you can do the transaction at a common meeting place like a Walmart parking lot, even better. Youd be amazed how many tweakers will show up to your house faking to buy something and then turn around and say they didnt like it.........only to come back that night and take it.

Dont be afraid to write a vehicle license number down (and make of vehicle) or ask for a valid drivers license and write down that number as well. If they decline........no transaction is going to happen. Rather lose a deal than lose everything!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

I usually take a picture of said person in front of the car. If you don't have anything to worry about, no big deal. But if weird things start happening, I'll a have a picture of you make/model/color of your car and the info the cops can get from the tag.

I've never had a problem with my dealings from craigslist. There is a good amount of trash to filter through. And when I talk to someone if I don't have a good gut feeling, I pass on the deal.

BTW - the first time I ever worked with bees was getting a swarm from craigslist. Wife and I had done lots of reading and taken a class. Bad thing was it was 10:30 at night with a big storm rolling in and about an hour drive. I felt like a kid at Christmas!

These scams usually end two ways: stolen credit card paypal payment or fake cashiers check. Don't assume that if you follow the rules, paypal won't still take the money back from you. The cashiers check is usually over the amount and then they ask you to refund the courier, etc. Then a few days after you got rid of the item, the bank tells you the cashiers check was fake. So in that case you lose the item plus some extra cash.

One of the reasons I do, "I will call you, and pay at time of pick up."
    All good thoughts
    Thanks

I offered some wooden ware on craigslist and got essentially the same reply. They were going to send a cashier's check, add $30. extra, and have assistant pick up items after I cashed the check. They also were headed to London for vacation. It was obviously not right, but I still am not sure how the scam worked if I cashed the check before he picked up the stuff. He even said that he would wait until the check was cleared before he picked up the stuff.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Me thinks as one posted above, looking for data to sell. With the info they were asking for from me, I wonder if they could not get IDs, credit card apps and who knows. With all that, I wonder if one could change passwords to some accounts?

So have you or any others had any luck selling nucs on craigslist? I would be interested to know the details, as I hope to do this in 2012.

I bought mine from a lady off of craigslist, and so far it's worked out great.

Thanks.
    Dave.

Think about it. Who is going to pay for something they haven't seen? Now who is going to pay extra for something they haven't seen?
    We use Craigslist all the time. I recently bought a 26 ft camping trailer on Craigslist. I made the bank check out to the guys name from a local bank, signed over the documents and drove it home. Don't go for deals that don't seem right and you will be fine with Craigslist.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

yeah, and none of my friends can vacation in London from now till May
    If it was legit, then they should have given me fifty extra dollars for being late. Cheap skate scammers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast