Default Motor for Hambone's boat

I was cleaning out the last section of my basement and came across some fishing stuff I picked up from my Grandfather before he passed away. I picked up two old outboard motors. One is a single cylinder Sears Elgin (1950ish), and the other this '67 McCulloch 2 cylinder. Any engine enthusiasts here? I have no idea when the last time it ran. Is it a big job trying get get an engine like this back running? I'm not sure I'm going to keep them, but wanted to know about getting them running.

67mcculloch1.jpg67mcculloch2.jpg67mcculloch3.jpg
    Regards, Barry

Default Re: Motor for Hambone's boat

Someone is going to love getting getting their hands on that engine. It looks new.

It would look nice on a 50's runabout with fins...
    BeeCurious
    5 hives and 8 nucs................... Trying to think inside the box...

I wish I could help. I tried working on an old (1970's) small Honda engine, unsuccessfully. The guy who bought that bike from me got a great deal. BUT, while I'm good at a lot of stuff, engines are not my strong point. AT ALL.

Gypsi
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Pretty cool motors. If you find an old school mechanic he would probably love working on them. I had a 1987, 2 stroke 40 h.p. Evinrude that hadn't been run in 15 years or so rebuilt last year and it a was around $500.00
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

make sure you have spark, compression, and fuel (fuel gowing to the engine) if you dont have spark check the points and coil (dont think they used electronic ignition back then) make sure the carb isnt gummed up wich it probly is check the compression with a compression tester. but the first thing i would do is remove the spark plug check for spark (remove bolth spark plugs crank it over and look for spark (remove plug and hook up sparkplug wire to sparkplug and touch metal part of engine with metal part of spark plug while cranking) if you have spark dump a small amount of fresh gas in cylinder (premix preffered) install spark plug and crank over if it fires make sure you are getting fuel to carb if it still does not run you are gona have to rebuild the carb (dissesemble carb soak and clean replace all gaskets and diaphrams) and if it has a fuel pump dont forget about that

I know next to nothing about outboards but have done tons or rebuilds on motorcycles. If they've been sitting that long your almost guaranteed to have to clean the carbs at best and at worst rebuild them. If they are 2 strokes then they are pretty easy to get running and rebuild if necessary. If they are 4 strokes you could possibly have a bit more fiddling and adjusting in order to get them running right. Either way I'd try to get a service manual if you plan on doing it yourself.

I would help you but I am a little far away. The first thing is make sure they turn freely and aren't locked up. Then make sure the carbs aren't gummed up and leeking. Put some clean fuel and marine stabil in it, the moister content from ethanol kills small engines. See what happens, if no go, check for spark. If you have spark unscew the plug to see if you are getting fuel. That's the basics. If you want to part them out or sell them Ebay would be the place. I found an old 1970 25 hp evinrude a neighbor was throwing away. It had no spark and I did'nt have the right tool to remove the flywheel to get to the coils. I broke the flywheel trying to remove it with a gear puller. Sold it for $450 on ebay with a cracked flywheel and bad coil. It is my go to place for outboard parts, I don't have a boat anymore though.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

You've heard the old saying; "a boat is a hole in the water into which you dump twenty dollar bills by the bucket." These two motors follow that line of reasoning.