Default Crimp-wired foundation and support pins

I have two hives established with plastic foundation and they took to it well, albeit they were a little slow to draw comb in the honey supers. This year I'm trying a colony with natural foundation. Question- Using crimp-wired foundation with support pins in wooden frames, do I have to wire the foundation as well? The brood chambers are deep hive bodies and the honey supers are mediums. The medium frames will go in the extractor, but the deeps will not. According to Betterbee, wiring is unnecessary, but I'd like a second opinion. Thank you.

Default Re: Crimp-wired foundation and support pins

Quote Originally Posted by astockman View Post
    According to Betterbee, wiring is unnecessary, but I'd like a second opinion. Thank you.
    You'll probably get far more than just a second opinion here!
    I've never wired foundation, for any size frames. I used the pins for a couple years but stopped using them too. I've got a lot of frames that are natural comb (no foundation used) and I've extracted them with no problem.

I use mostly crimped wire foundation without hooks. (I do not like the hooks, causes the foundation to bow IMO) I have had no problems with not cross wiring.

I use crimp wire with hooks and I cross wire. I have used support pins and found them difficult to install and the foundation tears out of them any way. Cross wiring makes the foundation very rigid and risists bowing or sagging in summer heat.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

When i used foundation with crimp wire i also cross wired. I dont use foundation any more i use starter strips with cross wire.

Quote Originally Posted by wadehump View Post
    When i used foundation with crimp wire i also cross wired. I dont use foundation any more i use starter strips with cross wire.
    I do a combo. Mostly foundation with cross wires and 2-3 frames of wired foundationless. A good way to ensure more drones.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

I don't use wire. No problems with extractor (yet...knock on wood) or otherwise.

I have seen the pins and even bobby pins. as far as my observations none are worth the effort. most shortcuts in beekeeping are shortcuts. take the time and make a quality product.