Default Texas coast checking in

Greetings from Bay City, Texas.

I'm a first year science teacher in Matagorda, Texas. The wife and I have been avid gardeners for a few years now, and are excited at the prospect of supplying our veggie and herb plots, as well as our fruit trees, with pollinators of our own. The honey and other hive products will be a nice bonus, but I understand we're not to count on them the first season or three. Apart from gardening, we both enjoy being outdoors, teaching our two young daughters about the bizarro world around them, and being just crafty people in general - cooking, brewing, woodworking... Having hives of our own right out back seems to be a great way to add to each and every one of those.

I've got a supportive and patient spouse on the couch next to me, a fully-assembled and painted Langstroth-style hive in the garage, and I've been reading everything bee-related I can get my hands on for about a month. I guess the next step is to join my local beekeeping club, get some real exposure, order myself a nuc, and prep my hive site.

Just looking forward to getting to work on all of this. Drop me a line if you see any holes in my amazing plan!

James

Default Re: Texas coast checking in

Definitely go with the local group - I wish I'd visited mine earlier! And Beesource is an amazing resource too.

Gypsi
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Welcome to the group. It is always nice to see a few more of us from Tejas in here! Good luck with you rnew hives.

Welcome James and family!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome to the site!