Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cheapest place to buy 1300 frames?

I need about 1300 wedge top or foundationless(assembled or unassembled) frames. Mannlakes price is about $1000, Walter Kelley is about $900, and Dadant is about $832.

Can anyone get me a better deal or find me a better deal?

Default Re: Cheapest place to buy 1300 frames?

Don't forget shipping. If you would need shipping from all of those 3 then Mannlake is gonna be cheaper by far.

My math (which I admit is poor) tells me that 1300 frames from Miller Bee Supply would run you right at $728. Of course, you'd have to factor in S&H unless you can pick up (which I usually do)

https://millerbeesupply.com/frames/g....html?notice=1

Hope this helps. Miller is one of my favorite suppliers. MannLake is the other, if it must be shipped.

-james

Is the 832.00 through Dadant their budget frames? I have bought those in the past and some will be un-serviceable. If I needed 1300 I would expect to need to buy 1400-1500 to get 1300 usable frames.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by SRatcliff View Post
    I need about 1300 wedge top or foundationless(assembled or unassembled) frames. Mannlakes price is about $1000, Walter Kelley is about $900, and Dadant is about $832.

Can anyone get me a better deal or find me a better deal?

You can look at Humble Abodes Inc. I would buy the budget frames but don't forget S&H.
    Just my $0.02

But the wedges are not bevel

http://www.humbleabodesinc.com/

BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    Last edited by Jim 134; 01-27-2012 at 03:40 AM.

Western Bee Supplies has economy mediums for .45 each. But the s/h will be the bummer.

Western is the only place I see so far that might beat Mannlake. But since it won't calculate shipping you would have to wait for an email from them to see.

go with western bee. there frames have been really great. i bought all #2 frames and have only had a few that weren't good. they will average much betther than the 1400-1500 to get 1300

Western bee supplies has great frames,just bought 1000, 9 5/8.

I bought some budget frames from Dadant, about 10% are defective and unusable, then I bought Dadants commercial frames, big difference in quality and they come with nails, I use staples, but for somebody using nails that might be a factor.

Western Bee actually has Budget medium frames for $0.39 each since the quantity will be over 1000. That is a total of $507 for 1300 frames. You can pay a whole lot of shipping with $327. afford to eat a few frames as well. even if you get 10% duds they come to only a bit less than $0.41 each. for the usable frames.
    IT is starting to get hard to justify making my own frames at those prices. I don't think I can buy the raw wood for less than that.
    http://www.westernbee.com/qs30/produ...13&detail=true
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I think that is the best info we got so far

I used to be able to build my boxes for about 4.55 each, Now I can't do it for less then 14.00 each unless I use rough sawn lumber. A couple of years ago you could buy budget boxes for about 6.50 each... those days are gone

Yep Daniel it does look the cheapest. Im still waiting on an email from them about shipping then I will let everyone know what the total cost is to my location right in the middle of the US.
    BTW Bluegrass, do you have a Menards out by you? I just priced some wood here and I can make boxes for about $3.25 here. Actually they have a sale running that drops it to right a $3

Just remember everyones definition of unusable is different. Some may not want to use a frame with a large imperfection or warpage. Just remember that you are also investing your time and a sheet of foundation. I have bought budget stuff in the past and no longer do as I have been burnt a time or two. Budget prices vary as well depending on current supply and the current quality of the wood they are cutting. I have bought both Western and Mann Lake commercial grade and though there are some minor differences in cut they are both very good frames and you can expect them to be nearly 100% usable.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by oblib View Post
    BTW Bluegrass, do you have a Menards out by you? I just priced some wood here and I can make boxes for about $3.25 here. Actually they have a sale running that drops it to right a $3
    Nope, only box stores we have is Lowes and Home Depot and they are more expensive than the Lumber yards. I was in HD yesterday and checked the price on 1x12 and it was $26.28 for a 12 footer, that would be over 16.00 per box.

OOps I was talking about the price of mediums but yeah the 1x12x12 is $12.78. Wild to see how wildly diff the prices are in diff parts of the country

Harvey's Honey (Monroeville NJ) has pallets of 2400 frames for $1200. Not sure if they would break for 1300 frames. Worth a shot if you are closer to NJ considering freight.

856-358-1010

Don't forget about Browning Cut Stock in Julieatta, ID, they advertise in ABJ .
    I have heard some Beeks on this forum really complain about the low quality of the budget frames
    from Western Bee?
    Don't know for myself as I have never ordered frames from them, but I know there budget frames are priced cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    I used to be able to build my boxes for about 4.55 each, Now I can't do it for less then 14.00 each unless I use rough sawn lumber.
    Where are you getting your wood?
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    I think that is the best info we got so far

I used to be able to build my boxes for about 4.55 each, Now I can't do it for less then 14.00 each unless I use rough sawn lumber. A couple of years ago you could buy budget boxes for about 6.50 each... those days are gone
    Why pay $14 each when you can still buy budget unassembled boxes from Browning Cut Stock for $7.25- (9 5/8"), $6.20- (7 5/8"), $5.15- (6 5/8" & 5 11/16").
    I can't buy the lumber for the price of there cut out unassembled boxes!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast