Default What is this bug

My friend has some problems in africa, dont know what are those bugs and other pests, and how to prevent them to harm the bees and get into hive:

003.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

Does anyone know what this is?
    Beekeeper from Slovenia, home of Carniolan honey bee (Apis mellifera carnica Pollman)

Default Re: What is this bug

Can't see them yet. There are lots of different insects that one can find inside beehives. Most of them do no harm at all to the bees. Unless you do see damage, leave them alone and don't try to control them. It isn't necassary and may do more harm than good.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

They say that they are eating bees...
    Beekeeper from Slovenia, home of Carniolan honey bee (Apis mellifera carnica Pollman)

Well that can't be good. Where in Africa are these insects eating bees? At what stage of growth? Adult? Pupal stage? Larval stage?
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

I was thinking the same... will see what they will say they found inside hives... can you tell me what those beetles do in hives? we dont have those problem yes... luckily

Those are not hive beetles (SHB); check the size against the dead bee next to them. I doubt that any larger species of beetle is a threat to the bees and Africa has several species of Dung Beetles which consume......you guessed it, dung! The wasps appear to be some species of Mud Dobber wasp and may eat bees for sure. We have Mud Dobbers here in FL but they don't eat bees as far as I know.

Is the top one a scarab beetle? The next two look like mudwasps. Is your friend seeing damage in the hive? Damage to the brood or equipment? Can you get a description of the damage?

Muddabber wasps I have found and opened have spiders or flys inside the cells of the developing wasps. If the ones you illustrate eat bees, they probably don't consume very many.

I also vote some variety of mud wasp.
    Dan

Mud dabbers are the same the world over. Africa has a large species of hive beetle also. But the large hive beetle is a green color and has been found in florida. Supposedly they do very little damage in the small infested area in florida. Just aggrevate the bees a little. While in Africa they can be a major pest of honeybees. I am sure that there are other beetles in the world that can be a major pest of honeybees. TED
    ALABAMA BEE COMPANY-A member of the Sioux Honey association -*Sweetening a golden tommorrow*

You have two different "bugs"

The beetles are from the Silphidae family...and the ones in the clay are a wasp...Mud Daubers to be exact..

In short...not to worry...not pests of bees

I doubt the first image is of silphids. Silphids are mostly carrion feeders, and the image doesn't look like any species of silphid that I've ever seen.

I suspect the beetles are large hive beetles, Oplostomus fuligineus (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae). Large hive beetle adults feed on bee brood in hives in southern Africa. They are black beetles; I've never heard of or seen green ones. We do have green species in the same family (although they do not feed on bee brood, to the best of my knowledge) in this country. Other members of the family are dung beetles, June beetles, and chafers, among a plethora of others. It's a large and diverse family.

The wasp nests certainly look like mud dauber nests, and these wasps are solitary wasps that provision their nests with spiders, usually. A few species may use other victims, but I know of none that build these sort of mud nests that kill bees. The wasps should cause no problem for the bees.