Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

MAQS pdf...Pictogram for tips to proper appilcation from NOD Apiaries, the Supplier

14K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  gmcharlie 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I used MAQS in 3 hives when it was too warm (85F) and did not provide adequate ventilation and experienced queen problems in all 3. If I use it again I will chose cooler weather- just a couple of days in a row is OK, most of the product seems to have evaporated by day 3, and provide lots of fresh air. I might confine the queen to an upper story, too.
Killed mites like crazy.

#6 ·
I left the entrance fully open but closed the SBB and top entrances. And the weather both night and day was really hot. One queen died, one suprceded immediately and one shut down for more than a month. I'm investigating oxalic acid vaporization now.

#8 ·
we spent alot of money treating our hives with MAQS last season and i think it really paid off. Important to have good venting, we were only putting a single pad on this fall and was still enough fumes to drive the bees out and kill mites. Temps are very important, i wouldnt want it to get hotter than 70-75 for a few days after application so watch the weather.

#15 ·
I'm going into my third year. The first I treated 2 hives with a full dose in late July/ early august. Both made it through winter. The second year I treated 4 hives with a half dose in July/early august, all 4 made it through winter. The half dose did not have as large a mite drop, but it was still substantial.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.