Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: One piece pierco frames and SHB

In relatively small quantities, I got Mann Lake unwaxed deeps for 1.35 and shallows for 1.25. In quantity, I am sure one could do better. Waxing just doesn't take that long and the bees take to them fine. Unless you are going foundationless I don't see how you beat that price. They extract just fine.

[QUOTE=Michael Palmer;746964]
    Quote Originally Posted by adam@azapiaries View Post
    These large migratories do have disease issues. Most if not all rely on Tylosin antibiotic to control the AFB in their colonies, and that's their only salvation. Their disease is resistant to Terramycin.
    I just got an email sent to our club advertising cheap nucs from Florida ... and relatively cheap. Hmmm.
    I am slightly confused about the pollination cycle, but my understanding is that bees come off of almonds strong and selling nucs or dumping them into packages is a way to dump bees. I guess they are not continuing on the pollination circuit or else they are doing something in between- maybe splitting or something. Can anyone clarify this cycle and how these cheap nucs of bees end up as a results? Not really a fan of nucs of bees coming off that kind of work, stress, and chemical exposure.
    Last edited by winevines; 02-13-2012 at 04:05 PM.
    karla

Karla, do you work? Are you Dumping your labor? I think you probably should avoid anything that stinks of capitalism, eschew these bees and work for free.

[QUOTE=winevines;755704]
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Can anyone clarify this cycle and how these cheap nucs of bees end up as a results? Not really a fan of nucs of bees coming off that kind of work, stress, and chemical exposure.
    The tone of this suggests that you already have your mind made up about all things commercial. So as not to spoil your preconceptions, yeah the 1,000,000 plus hives coming out of the almonds each year are full of old dying bees that have had every chemical imaginable dumped (that is the most popular derogatory term I hear used) into them and any "cheap" nucs taken out of them would almost certainly be worthless. Of course any small backyard orchard with a small number of hives located nearby would be entirely different.......right?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by winevines View Post
    Not really a fan of nucs of bees coming off that kind of work, stress, and chemical exposure.
    Not commenting on any 'cheap' nucs from Florida, but our bees come out of almonds so big that if we didn't sell packages or nucs the bees would simply swarm anyway. Because we split them doesn't mean we are "dumping" bees, just taking advantage of nature doing what it does best, proliferating under positive conditions.
    You should know that the majority of the replacement bees that the nation buys come from bees that have been in almonds. If the dead bees these nucs and packages are replacing had been in the same "stressed out" conditions as those commercial bees coming out of almonds, perhaps they wouldn't have needed replacing to begin with.

Sheri

I can attest to the fact that Sheri's bees, post almonds, are very full of vigor. I feel that the average age of her bees in April is much less than that of our bees that have overwintered in Wisconsin. Believe what you want, but until the day comes that the commercial people are buying bees from the purist sideliners, I refuse to buy into the "stressed out , poisoned, commercial" bee matra.

Crazy Roland

Aw Roland, why do you want to deprive folks of their delusions? ;-)
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12