Instrumental Insemination Equipment - Page 28
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Default Re: Instrumental Insemination Equipment

Danny, would appreciate you letting us know how many queens you have inseminated and the results using your various apparatus, pictures would also be good, if the apparatus is just experimental but never been used, I will also understand and appreciate that, please just say so if that is the case, as it will make things so much more understandable and the way forward so much easier. Your friend in the south, Pete.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by beekuk View Post
    Danny, would appreciate you letting us know how many queens you have inseminated and the results using your various apparatus, pictures would also be good, if the apparatus is just experimental but never been used, I will also understand and appreciate that, please just say so if that is the case, as it will make things so much more understandable and the way forward so much easier. Your friend in the south, Pete.
    We had four attempts with only one going on to lay, I never did any more last year due to moving my main workshop to a bigger place; The way ahead is to move to better permanent site, still waiting to hear from the land owner to reorganise an abandoned apiary which is a jungle right now, it has two wild colonies surviving in older equipment that was left behind, it is a superb spot though with no big agri in a ten mile radius, an ideal spot surrounded by virgin woodland and ESA status, when we get sorted I will take some decent photographs of everything working.

Last edited by The Apprentice; 01-04-2018 at 06:14 AM. Reason: double post

Check out this superb site for used sterio scopes of all makes.

https://www.bidservice.com/cart/prod...&page-number=2

Quote Originally Posted by The Apprentice View Post
    We had four attempts with only one going on to lay, I never did any more last year due to moving my main workshop to a bigger place;
    Well done, Danny, practice makes perfect, hope all goes well with the new workshop, just made a few more insemination tips myself for the coming season, be good to have a phone chat again sometime soon.

Status update on my first year II queens (2017):

First 2 did not make it, these were done prior to any training, the rest were done after Cobey's class. I didn't expect my first dozen to survive, happy it was just the first two.

Post training stats:
    Traded/Given Away:
    1 traded to another beek - unsuccessful introduction, traded immediately after insemination.

1 was given to another beek - traded after 2 months of laying, died out with a large number of their apiary. Reasons unknown.

Kept:
    1 injured during inspection, my fault. Was laying great prior to that. Disappeared a couple weeks after injury.
    4 others as still doing well.

Laying solid patterns prior to winter!

Overall I am very happy with my 2017 success (post taking a class). Everyone I introduced began laying very well. Of the ones I kept, with the exception of the one I injured during inspection, they are all still kicking.

Advice after this experience, take Sue Cobey's class if you can.

Right now 5 out of my 18 (one from another breeder) hives are headed by II queens, I plan to raise that to 50% this year. Very happy with the II results, and the genetics lines I acquired so far. Great experience overall!
    instrumental Insemination & Northern VSH Queens

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728