Default Need a little advice

I know of alot of the expenses and related cost with keeping bees as I have for three years now, but I'm sure I'm missing some and would like all the input I can get as I'm considering in the next few years to try on a small commercial scale. I'm in Virginia an figure to feed 3 to 4 gallons of surup in the spring for fast build up starting in March to Late April. I'm going to let some produce honey and some produce multiple splits. Does this sound about right?

I plan on medicating for nosema in the spring as well. Again sound about right?

All depending on the year for flow I will start to feed again around September to around early November if they are lite.

I know that all expences sould be considered but so far they have been a hobbie and will continue to be so for a year or two till I get the numbers close to 200 or so. Don't look to make alot till 350 or so.

I would also like some advice on estimated honey production a year, my guess 20 to 60 pounds all on good or bad flow year?

And is it possable to sell two or three splits a year off of a hive and still winter a strong donor hive? And is 100.00 to 125.00 reasonable per nuc?

I will thank any and all now for your help and advice!!

Default Re: Need a little advice

I have an Excel cashflow spread sheet that I am happy to share with you.
    You must have Microsoft Excel and I will need you to email me your email as the Excel file will not fit on this site.
    my e mail is steveh@gotbeez.com.
    "Success is all about attitude"
    California Almond Pollination Services, Inc.

>is 100.00 to 125.00 reasonable per nuc?

If they are overwintered and strong, I think they are worth more. Some packages are going for $100 now. If they are splits made in the spring with Southern queens, I think that's about right, but still might be a little low. Assuming you are not providing the box.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

You may get a few hobbiest to pay that much for a NUC, but don't expect to sell any kind of quantity at those prices. Also, I wouldn't plan on more than two splits max off a hive unless you have some serious all summer long into fall flows. Anddddd... don't expect to increase your hive numbers if you are doing hard splits on them. If you want to build up your numbers do combined splits to make bigger nucs so they can overwinter better. Lastly, if you are going to harvest plan on honey house equipment and all that goes with harvesting...drip boards, extra supers, etc. You going up to 350 you need to plan on at least 1000 supers and drawn frames on those. Lots of cost associated once you move out of the 10-20 range.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Hi Alpha
    Totally agree and that applies wherever you are in the world, the other thing you need is a strong back and plenty of storage space in winter.
    kev (uk)

alpha , can you elaborate on how you would go about splitting to make sure the hives are still strong enough for winter. would you make 3 hives out of one at the same time , or split equally than wait and split again?

alpha6
    I'm fully aware of the cost,a year ago I had 15, overwinterd 35 this year probably go to 70 this winter every year the price doubles. And already priced every thing for new big honey house, but at 70 still don't need big building yet.
    Thanks for your input it's greatly appreciated