Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Heat gun uncapping

Dnichols: If wax is a major objective, yes you will get less. The cappings in the sludge plus burr comb, once rendered in a solar wax melter, filtered through a paper towl, are sufficent for me to add an additional coat of bees wax on plastic frames/foundation with a sponge type paint roller from a double boiler arrangement.

Crofter: I use a mix of wooden frames with wax foundation, plastic foundation (with an additional coat of my own beeswax), and Pierco all plastic frames also coated with my own bees wax. I have not had a problem with the heat gun being too hot for any of the pastic. However, keep in mind that it is a matter of technique, which one must learn, sometimes the hard way.

All frames from the extraction the other day are now back on the hives for bee cleanup. Above the bulk of the hive I have: the inner cover, a completely empty medium super, a medium super full of 10 recently extracted frames, and then the outer cover. The theory is, that if left in that sequence for 7-10 days the bees will clean up and move downward into the main hive all of the residual honey from the recently extracted frames. The repair of any damage to the cells is an additional step which I will take at a leter time.

Regards,
    Bear Creek Steve

Thanks Bear Creek Steve, I will check into that gun.

Just tried this and wow did it work great! After two medium supers being processed, the uncapping tub had three 1/4 inch drops of wax in it and absolutely nothing else. It took 15 to 20 seconds per frame to uncap. The wax in the double strainer after two supers would fit in a teaspoon. No damage to frames and it didn't cause the honey any problems either. We are hooked!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackForestBees View Post
    We are hooked!
    Wait till you've old frames and foundation.......you may not be so hooked....
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

SNL, what has your experience been with this? I found the heat never even made it to the foundation. Curious what problems you have had with it.

On the older comb, the wax hardens back quickly to seal the comb AND the cappings are not so easily melted. Again, works on the new comb just fine....

My experience was not good. I found the melted cappings quickly ran down the frame and recapped other cells. A real mess. Love the concept but when you think about it the melted wax has to go somewhere right!?

I wish it did work better because it looks so fast and a lot neater than working with a capping tank.

I went from crush and strain to an extractor and a heat knife.
    I HATED the heat knife.
    I tried the heat gun method and I do not foresee going back to the knife!
    The frames that I did were new, but I imagine that even with old comb, the CAPPINGS will be new wax.
    I'll know better next year!
    The question is what to do, and the answer, as always, is complicated by a muddle of reason, emotion, and doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    I'll know better next year!
    Yes you will