Thread: Goldenrod Flow

Default Goldenrod Flow

Just curious about bees working the goldenrod. For those that have seen, about how long after the goldenrod starts blooming does the actual flow start? My bees are still ignoring it from what I can tell so far. Any ideas?
    Thomas Bartram

Default Re: Goldenrod Flow

Our flow peaked last week and really started the week before. The first golden rod started blooming here August 6th.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

I don't think we have any Golden Rod in this area..at least I have sen none...but I I just noticed some cream coloured pollen drifting into the hives. The bes have put nothing back in wet supers that were put on the end of July.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Quote Originally Posted by zhiv9 View Post
    Our flow peaked last week and really started the week before. The first golden rod started blooming here August 6th.
    Several different species in my neck of the woods, bees didn't hit the taller flowers in August too much but the lower plants are covered up this month. More rain or more nectar excreted per plant, don't know the answer.

My bees mostly ignore the goldenrod and hit the wingstem and yellow crownbeard which are very prolific on my property and surrounding area. A few are on the goldenrod, which I believe to be canadian goldenrod. The wingstem started blooming in early August and is still going. The crownbeard started blooming about a week later and likewise is still in full bloom. We had a wet and cool summer.

Goldenrod started in my area August 16 and is still blooming. My bees are working something real hard, the yard looks like it is taking machine gun fire. From the smell I believe it is the Goldenrod. A couple hives are putting on 4 to 5 lbs a day.

Quote Originally Posted by billabell View Post
    My bees mostly ignore the goldenrod and hit the wingstem and yellow crownbeard which are very prolific on my property and surrounding area. A few are on the goldenrod, which I believe to be canadian goldenrod. The wingstem started blooming in early August and is still going. The crownbeard started blooming about a week later and likewise is still in full bloom. We had a wet and cool summer.
    We don't have much crownbeard around my hives, but plenty of golden honey (wingstem). The golden honey, ironweed, and white snakeroot typically end just as the goldenrod begins. The bees and many other insects were working goldenrod hard this weekend. Lots of pollen, not a big flow, just a hint of a smell, I checked a few hives and found wet nectar. My guess is this weekend will be peak bloom for us, the predicted cooler weather is perfect timing to extend bloom.

Ours is going very strong. Wonderful rich goldenrod aroma coming from the apiary here. Field force is landing very heavily at all hives. OMTCW

We are probably at the peak right now. The earlier, shorter goldenrod is ignored by the bees but they are all over the later variety. They started hitting it hard about a week or so after the first blossoms. I can smell the nectar in the hives when I open the back door.

I saw the first aster blossom yesterday, which is also an important fall crop in the north.

Wayne

Laketrout: Can't PM you. your inbox is full.

Wayne