Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oakland, NJ, USA
    Posts
    55

    Default What would you do???

    First of all I use all 8 frame deeps. I have heard many like to winter their hives Mike Palmer & Michael Bush with one brood box and a super of honey/pollen above it.

    What would you do if you had two deep boxes of brood? Shake the bees into the lower brood box? Use the excess frames to help other hives? Or would you keep the double brood box setup and just have one deep super over both brood boxes?

    Thanks for your thought/suggestions?

    JG

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Bath, Maine, United States
    Posts
    1,142

    Default Re: What would you do???

    I would not change my method in Sept. Double deep is the standard.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    9,816

    Default Re: What would you do???

    The configuration you have if I understand you correctly is three deep boxes. The two bottom boxes have brood and the one on top is full of honey. Is this correct? In NJ I would think it is too early to set up for wintering because I think it is too early to do it where I am. I would want the second box full of honey at least if I were going to remove the top box. I would not try to go for a one deep configuration based on what you are describing.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oakland, NJ, USA
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: What would you do???

    Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    The configuration you have if I understand you correctly is three deep boxes. The two bottom boxes have brood and the one on top is full of honey. Is this correct? In NJ I would think it is too early to set up for wintering because I think it is too early to do it where I am. I would want the second box full of honey at least if I were going to remove the top box. I would not try to go for a one deep configuration based on what you are describing.
    Correct Brian. I was talking about three deeps, with the bottom two being brood. Do I understand you as saying that you would winter with four boxes? Two brood and two honey(just trying to be clear)?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    39

    Default Re: What would you do???

    What the weight of the two bottom boxes? ie: they may need the 3rd box if there is little to no honey stored in the two brood boxes.
    Regards,
    KGB-8FmedTF

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oakland, NJ, USA
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: What would you do???

    Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
    What the weight of the two bottom boxes? ie: they may need the 3rd box if there is little to no honey stored in the two brood boxes.
    The two brood boxes have very little honey stored....full out brood on each frame. For some reason I for the past three years my bees have been putting up with me, I have not seen much if any honey ring on my brood frames.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    46,341

    Default Re: What would you do???

    > I have heard many like to winter their hives Mike Palmer & Michael Bush with one brood box and a super of honey/pollen above it.

    If we are talking about nucs it's a different matter. I believe a typical strong hive will need significantly more than that. Michael Palmer usually overwinters a strong hive in two deeps and a shallow or something on those lines. All ten frame boxes.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oakland, NJ, USA
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: What would you do???

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    > I have heard many like to winter their hives Mike Palmer & Michael Bush with one brood box and a super of honey/pollen above it.

    If we are talking about nucs it's a different matter. I believe a typical strong hive will need significantly more than that. Michael Palmer usually overwinters a strong hive in two deeps and a shallow or something on those lines. All ten frame boxes.
    Yes Michael....strong hives....with two 8 frame brood boxes, currently with another 8 frame super above them. Would you prefer to winter them with another 8 frame super making it 2 brood and 2 supers filled with honey for the winter?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    46,341

    Default Re: What would you do???

    That depends on the size of the cluster. A really big Italian style cluster, probably. A typical Carni/Russian cluster, probably not. The outside frames tend to get left behind anyway, so I don't see much difference between that and ten frame boxes.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oakland, NJ, USA
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: What would you do???

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    That depends on the size of the cluster. A really big Italian style cluster, probably. A typical Carni/Russian cluster, probably not. The outside frames tend to get left behind anyway, so I don't see much difference between that and ten frame boxes.
    Thank you, Italian gals.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    9,816

    Default Re: What would you do???

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Given View Post
    Correct Brian. I was talking about three deeps, with the bottom two being brood. Do I understand you as saying that you would winter with four boxes? Two brood and two honey(just trying to be clear)?
    No, I was thinking if they did not at least backfill the second brood box to run with 3 deeps because you don't have a medium full of honey that you could use instead of the top deep. I suppose you could pull out 2 outside frames on each side and put blanks or a follower board in but that sounds like a lot of fuss. Just leave too much what is the harm?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oakland, NJ, USA
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: What would you do???

    Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    No, I was thinking if they did not at least backfill the second brood box to run with 3 deeps because you don't have a medium full of honey that you could use instead of the top deep. I suppose you could pull out 2 outside frames on each side and put blanks or a follower board in but that sounds like a lot of fuss. Just leave too much what is the harm?
    Got it...will leave the top box on full of honey over two brood boxes..

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    9,816

    Default Re: What would you do???

    You can check in a month to see if that top brood box gets full after the golden rod flow is over.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Knox Co, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    863

    Default Re: What would you do???

    Here in central Ohio I regularly overwinter hives in a double deep, 8-frame, configuration. I have also done a deep and a medium with smaller colonies. Irregardless, you need to make sure the colony has enough stores for your area to overwinter.

    Brood rearing will probably slow down in the next few weeks. If you end up with any empty brood chamber you can remove it. It won't hurt to leave it on. But, the bees shouldn't need it.

    Tom

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads