Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Goals in Treatment-Free Beekeeping and Measures of Success

And not just one year.

A certain level of sustainability would also indicate success to me. Though I don't know if we can all agree on what the word sustainable means. I would say that Rolands and Ted Ks' Apiaries are sustainable. Generationally speaking.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

>But I'd be willing to bet your losses during years 1-3 with treatment free were much greater than those you know who are treating.

Not at all. Losses were the same the first three years as now and much better than those I know who are treating. A lot of them lost all their bees, a position I have not been in since I went to small cell and natural cell. I lost them all when not treating (which I had been doing since 1975) when the Varroa arrived and twice more not treating after that, but that was all on large cell. I don't see not treating on large cell as a viable choice.
    Last edited by Michael Bush; 01-21-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: typo
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

"But I'd be willing to bet your losses during years 1-3 with treatment free were much greater than those you know who are treating."

Wrong again ! My losses are lower than most and even with the best -- With no treatment !
    This winter I did lose 1/6 hives. First time in 3 years running.

Fuzzy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12