Default Small Hive Bettles, Beetle barns/CD cases and roach/ant bait, what strength paste?

So if you buy beetle barns (M90D) http://www.gabees.com/store/product_...roducts_id=370, and put roach/ant bait gel in them (or CD cases), what strength fipronil is required? Does the .01% stuff work, or do you need to use the .05% stuff? I see that Apithor is 0.048% http://www.apithor.com.au/images/pdf/apithor_msds.pdf

Default Re: Small Hive Bettles, Beetle barns/CD cases and roach/ant bait, what strength paste

Realizing this is only hypothetical, and you would never put a highly toxic contact poison near food, like honey, or honey storage, like comb -- the stronger the better so they do not crawl out and contaminate everything or kill bees by contact transfer.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Default Re: Small Hive Bettles, Beetle barns/CD cases and roach/ant bait, what strength paste

.01% is very effective when mixed with Russell's beetle bait at a 1:1 ratio. I made some up with honey and fresh pollen last summer that worked good but not as good as his. The beetle juice is in a syringe that makes it easy to apply. As for it being close to food stuff I think its approved for use in commercial food prep areas. Though as mentioned the compound needs to be strong enough that the beetles die inside the trap eliminating the possibility the compound is spreed to the bees.
    BB's Honey
    www.bbshoney.com

Using filrinil(sp?) in beatle traps is cost effective and common. However if I remember correct I think it was Mary Ann Frazier. regardless the filiprinil was showing up in the
    comb from bees dragging out beetles that had died. This stuff is highly toxic to bees and while you can look up the concentration i know it takes VERY LITTLE to kill bees. the levels she found in hives from using cassettes or corragated plastic with Max force roach bait(filiprinil)was 1/2 the lethal level of being toxic with very little use. I was thinking it would be a great way to control beatles safely, but personally I would never put this stuff in a hive.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    Realizing this is only hypothetical, and you would never put a highly toxic contact poison near food, like honey, or honey storage, like comb -- the stronger the better so they do not crawl out and contaminate everything or kill bees by contact transfer.
    soooo you will put it into your hives where wax and honey are stored...but not near food right?

Here is the original research article from the Journal of Apicultural Research and Bee World 47(3): 222–228 (2008) for the Apithor trap which contains .048% fiprinol.
    It contains the study findings and residues in honey, field efficacy trials, pictures of the trap, beetle kill numbers etc.
    http://www.apithor.com.au/images/pdf/levot_2008.pdf
    Main website here
    http://www.apithor.com.au
    I'm wondering if the .01% paste is strong enough to knock em down in the trap, without going to the 0.05% as in the Apithor trap. Feel free to PM me if you have had success with the 0.01%