Default Right-sized, zero-treatment bees near more typical sized bees in an apiary?

Hello,

I would like to convert my single existing hive to right-sized bees (I have never treated them with anything), but my hive sits in an apiary shared with other beekeepers whose hives are neither small cell nor treatment-free. Before I proceed, is there anything I should be concerned about? Would converting my hive incur any risks or problems (other than the work involved)? Thanks!

Cheers,
    Kevin
    Last edited by HrafnBees; 01-17-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: clarification

Default Re: Right-sized, zero-treatment bees near more typical sized bees in an apiary?

Right sized bees?

I had no idea my bees were the wrong size.
    Backyard beekeeping and honey bees.
    www.BlueLineApiary.com

Default Re: Right-sized, zero-treatment bees near more typical sized bees in an apiary?

Well, there is nothing you can do anything about... no added risks, but you already have the risk of the large cell treated hives.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks for the advice! I am finding your book and Web site very helpful, and encouraging My bees were purchased as a nuc, and no doubt had been treated before I received them, but I never used anything and they still produced a surplus their first year. They seem to be enduring the winter OK, so I have high hopes.

Cheers!

let us know how the wrong sized bees go. Being you bought them as a NUC it don't matter if you dont treat them. Most likely all the comb from the NUC has some type of chemical treatment in it. Keep us posted on the progression of making them the right sized and their health.

I'm wondering if you've bought this nuc off a beekeeper and he has given you permission to run it in his apiary? If so, you can find the history of the bees.

The other hives in the apiary. Are they successful and making a profit? If so, do what he does.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).