Default Queen replacement in fall: VS Checkerboarding

Does re-queening in fall GUARANTEE that a hive will not generate a reproductive swarm coming out of winter ?

How many folks re-queen in fall ? And do their hives swarm in spring ?

Is this a viable method to prevent swarming ?

Default Re: Queen replacement in fall: VS Checkerboarding

Guarentee??????????????? Nothing does that ever! Your production may benefit from young well mated queens and they might be less prone to swarm depending on the variety. The advantage would be in finding cheaper and possibly better mated queens in the fall In My opinion.

>Does re-queening in fall GUARANTEE that a hive will not generate a reproductive swarm coming out of winter ?

No.

>How many folks re-queen in fall ?

It's a good time to do if IF you're going to requeen.

> And do their hives swarm in spring ?

In my experience I see no significant difference.

>Is this a viable method to prevent swarming ?

In my opinion, no. Some requeen early in the spring TWICE to prevent swarming. Once in April and again in May... I don't recommend it, I'm just saying...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

The evidence suggests that the age of the OVERWINTERED queen is not relevant to repro swarm incidence. The colony that winters in satisfactory condition and has adequate build up forage support has all it needs to generate the repro swarm.

Requeening during the buildup helps. Anything done to slow development in the buildup, cuts into their fixed timeline to get swarm preps completed in time. But the week or so delay in requeening does not guarantee success in swarm prevention.
    Opinions are cheap.
    Walt

Cool Re: Queen replacement in fall: VS Checkerboarding

Colonies that have been requeened in the Autumn will very rarely if ever swarm the following Spring.

Im not a big fish in this bowl, but I do have the following hives:

1 single deep with a "home made" queen in a late summer split last year. Italian.

2 nucs- one carni and one Italian, splits made and these bought queens were introduced last August as well.

1 two deep colony that has a young carni queen that was made last spring, it was from a nuc I bought last summer in June.

1 two deep colony that has a package Italian queen started last May, this is my first hive ever.

I imagine the nuc's and single deep wont swarm due to size and they will need to fill out a single and a double by fall, and perhaps a honey super!

I will be keeping a close eye on my two big hives and take some measure of adding foundationless frames in the brood chamber (open it up a bit) and see how that works out, plus i'll be making a couple spring splits from them as well.

Next year will be the challenging year for me as I should have 5 really strong hives, or more.

Will have data by July on the swarm issues!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

I've got a buck that says that BeeGhost gets at least 5 swarm before July, 2011.

Fuzzy

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I've got a buck that says that BeeGhost gets at least 5 swarm before July, 2011.
    Oh man, picking on a newbee!!LOL I hope your not right!! And if you are, I hope my traps catch them!! Lets see, I have six months before the July swarm cut-off for me, the nucs still have to be transfered into undrawn single deeps (well, 5 frames that are not drawn) and then a second deep needs to be added. Should have about a month for that to happen. The cold weather is finally here and the rains are hopefully going to start, so that should give me a few months of delay................your on for a buck!! And yes Fuzzy, i'll be honest if a hive swarms and let you know via PM!!

I still need to get down your way and check out your bee vac as well, havnt forgot about it, just been extremely busy, I even missed the MDBA meeting last Thursday night due to other stuff that popped up, sucks.
    Coyote Creek Bees