Default Any Genealogists Here?

One of my ancestors was Oliver Brown who served in the Revolutionary War and moved his family here to Concord, Ohio in the early 1800's. Many of his family and descendents were among a group of pioneer families that settled in NE Ohio and started some of the earliest communities in the area. I stumbled upon a line of his that took me back to John Brown I who was born in 1312 in Stamford England.

Most of my ancestors were from Germany and they immigrated to the US in the early 1800's. I don't speak or read German so I have not been able to do further research in archived German records. I welcome any suggestions.

Wondering if there are any other genealogy buffs out there. Any interesting lineages you've discovered in your family?
    To everything there is a season....

Default Re: Any Genealogists Here?

Jan VAN CLEEF was a farmer in Gravesend in 1656. He was living in New Utrecht in 1659 and bought a farm there in 1662. In 1677 he was a member of the New Utrecht
    Church. He is mentioned as the town constable in Dongan's Patent of 1686.
    Jan or John Van Cleef was a Dutch man born in Amsterdam. He came to the new world in 1653, at New Netherlands (New York). Most likely in the city of New Amsterdam (New York). Eventually in 1664 the English conquered New Netherlands and renamed New Netherlands and New Amsterdam New York. Jan took the oath to the English in 1687.
    He landed in Long Island in 1653, where he owned 14 morgens in Gravesend in 1657. He was a farmer and moved to New Utrecht later. In 1686 he received a grant of land from Governor Donegan.
    "There is reason to believe that Jan Van Cleef was a son of one of the claimants for the Ducal throne of Cleaves when it was vacated by the death of Duke John William in 1609, without heirs, although he had been married twice. There were eight heirs who claimed the throne but it was given in 1614 by the Treaty of Zanten to the heirs of his wife instead. It is probable that the father of Jan fled across the border into Holland as a political refugee, taking up his residence in Amsterdam.
    Children of Jan Van Cleef and Engelitje Pietersen are: Neeltje3 Van Cleef, Cornelius Van Cleef, Laurens Van Cleef, Rebecca Van Cleef, Anna Van Cleef, Isbrant Van Cleef, Rem Van Cleef, Johannes Van Cleef, Angelica Van Cleef, Catrina Van Cleef, Benjamin Van Cleef, Joseph Van Cleef, Maritje Van CleefCeytie (Cynthia) Van Cleef

Children of Isabrandt Van Cleef (some of which used Van Cleve & Van Cleave) & Jane Vanderbilt (Jannetje Van der Bilt): John abt 1700, Cornelius abt 1702, Margaret abt 1704, Mary abt 1706, Helena abt 1708, Aaron abt 1710, Benjamin b 1712 chr. 1715, Anne abt 1714, Martha chr 1716, Janneke chr 1720 & Isabrandt chr 1724.

"Aaron Sr. lived in New Jersey [& NC], where he raised his family. When the War of the Revolution began Aaron's seven sons all went into the army. They were stout, tall and hardy. We do not know how long the sons remained in the army, some probably until it closed. It is said by [Uncle] Jonathan Van Cleave that all the sons of old Aaron were in the Army except Billy. His wife was a Tory, and would not let him go. It seems that all the sons married in New Jersey [NC]. It is thought that Aaron Sr. died in Monmouth [Co], New Jersey [Rowan Co, NC], but at what time is not known [1780]. His sons went west. One went to Ohio, where his history is lost. Samuel went to Virginia to live and but little is known of him. It is thought that his descendents were heard from later. It came about this way. Elders Jonathan and Matthias Van Cleave had attended a Baptist Association and took an active part. Thier names were published in the minutes of the association in the 'Baptist Herald' a paper published by a man named Beahy. This paper was seen by a Van Cleave in Virginia who wrote to [Elder] Matthius Van Cleave of Crawfordsville, Indiana, but Elder Matthius was not able to learn anything of his history, so Uncle Matthius came to see Uncle Jonathan and Aunt Betsy, and between them they made out a historical report of the early history of the Van Cleaves in America, beginning with Aaron Sr., the progenitor. They felt confident that the man in Virginia was a descendent of Samuel and related to them. They never heard from the man again, lost the letter and address."
    Children of Aaron Van Cleave & Rachel Schenck: Thisgen (Tygsen?, poss nickname for Isabrandt?) abt 1733, Cary (Cory?, poss nickname for Cornelius?) abt 1735, Samuel abt 1737, John abt 1739, Benjamin 1741, William abt 1743, Aaron abt 1745, Ralph 1747 & Jane 1749.
    Jane Van Cleef married Squire Boone and moved west along with two brothers.
    The Van Cleaves were living at Bryant's Station, at least two of the brothers were, Benjamin and John, who evidently had been there for some time, and were living there at the time of the siege, so they said, and took part in the defense against the Indians. They used to tell of that fearful time. Save for their personal experiences it was like the history gives of the attack.
    Some of the survivors of the sieges at Bryant’s Station and Fort Boonesborough moved to Florida with 6 horses and $200.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

My grandmother's side of the family were French Huguenots that emmegrated to Montreal. They moved to the Hudson valley of New York about 1680. Because of their religious beliefs the community forced them out. Governor Clinton granted them land in the Neversink river valley north of Port Jervis...near what is now Neversink. A villiage was named after the family...Divine Corners. The Divines were the first white family in the valley.

During the early years, the Divines refused to fight in any wars...French and Indian... as they believed in non-violence. The community tried to murder one of my ancestors as that time. Hung him in the chimney...twice as his daughter cut him down. He survived. In later years/centuries, many of the decendants did fight in the wars...Revolutionary War, Civil War, etc.

My gr, gr, grandfather,,,Silas Reynolds Divine was a chemist and inventor and farmer. He invented double acting baking powder, and waterglass...sodium silicate...used at that time to preserve eggs. Now used to glue asbestos chording onto the doors of furnaces for use as a gasket. He also invented an underwater blasting powder called rock a rock. Was made of two inert ingredients...one dry one wet. Dry ingredient was in sock, and when place into liquid became explosive. If you are from the New York City area..Long Island, Westchester, you might know where Hellgate is? It's the channel between the East River and Long Island Sound. His invention was used to clear the channel.

He also grew strawberries. He would cover the strawberry field with ice and mulch with buckwheat straw. Had strawberries long after other fields had gone by.

Because my family was there when not many other families were, the eligable marriage partners were few. So, I'm related to many of the original families who settled there...The Tappan family of TappanZee bridge fame. James Fenemore Cooper. My Great Grandmother was Amelia Burr...Gr, Gr, Grand neice of Arron Burr, first Vice President under Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    The community tried to murder one of my ancestors as that time. Hung him in the chimney...twice as his daughter cut him down. He survived.
    Interesting background Mike. You have obviously done a lot of research very interesting. Sorry bit I can only chuckle when I try to conjure up a visual image of the hang/fail and not just once but twice. With neighbors like that.............
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I've done genealogy research for quite a while. I have about 88,000 individuals in my database related to me by blood or by marriage. My primary lines are Wagner, Woods, and Royal.

This is all primarily on my father's side. I really haven't even touched my mother's side or my wife's family.

-james

My father in law is very, very much into genealogy and has done some very extensive research. He even travels the country meeting new cousins and gets their information.

As for me....I'm a mutt

Father's Side:
    Gr. Grandfather-Joseph Silveira Ramalho-Born 1883 Los Osos Ca. Gr. Grandmother-Marie Teixeira Ramalho-Born 1894 Orinda, Ca. Grandfather-Edward Joseph Ramalho-Born 1914 Santa Maria, Ca.

Gr. Grandfather-Ernest Neal Shryock-Born 1886 Folsomville Indiana. Gr. Grandmother-Mary Ethel Walker-Born 1891 Guthrie OK. Grandmother-Mary Elizabeth Shryock-Born 1920 Visalia, Ca.

Mother's Side:
    Gr. Grandfather-Ozias Jacob Lee-Born November 21?, Unknow Place. Gr Grandmother-Oma Mae Montgomery-Born Unknow Date and Place. Grandfather-Clarence Glenn Lee-Born 1917-Baxter Tenn.

Gr. Grandfather-Billy P. Gentry-Born 1903 Gainesboro Tenn. Gr. Grandmother-Lydia Alice Ramsey-Born 1904 Gainesboro Tenn. Grandmother Cordia Merle Gentry-Born 1924 Cookville Tenn.

IT would BE neat if somehow we met new relatives who are beekeepers!!!
    Last edited by bhfury; 01-15-2012 at 10:46 AM.

I've just recently gotten into genealogy myself. I haven't uncovered anything that gave me pause other than it appears my father's line goes back to Henry VIII, albeit illegitimately!

Most of my family is Southern, and I have hit a lot of walls but I love researching. I recently volunteered as a photo contributor on findagrave.com, as the site has been really helpful to me when cross-referencing. I have also gotten in touch with some really cool people that I am distantly related to that are happy to share information. It's really rewarding in a way that I can't explain.
    I started out as an opportunistic beekeeper. Now the bees keep me...

Genealogy is much like Beekeeping. Once you are fortunate enough to locate a link, you're hooked. All sense of reason goes out the window, and you are a slave to pursuing ... just one more.

Millville, Worcester Co, Massachusetts, USA

Been into it since 1977, high school project.

Italian side in US since 1910
    German side in US since 1725
    English side in US since 1628 - traced back to Edward I of England.

Related to Warren Harding, Richard Nixon, Jimmy Carter and Lizzy Borden - all 7th cousins.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_G View Post
    Been into it since 1977, high school project.<snip> Steve
    Coincidentally, that is how I got into it. Had to do a project for a folklore class and picked genealogy. I was hooked, as they say. -james

I too had an ancestor that fought in the revolution and when his side lost, moved to Canada. Another on my mothers side signed the Declaration of Independence. I can take no credit. I wasn't there either day:<}

All I know is that, evidently, none of my ancestors were wealthy.

We must be related fish stix. Somewhere way back in my lineage the parents figured out it was best to spend their children's inheritance. That caught on and was passed down to each generation.

William Penn was my Grandfather 11 times removed. My grandmother still has letters he wrote which have been passed down through the family. My grandfathers side of the family there are no records for because they shipwrecked off of the coast of NJ and swam ashore. The ship they came on came from Puerto Rico, but we are unable to trace where they came from before that. But the family name is English so we assume both sides were English.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Mike,
    Interesting that you have aancester that served in the revolution. I have a one also on my dad's side... Balthazar Meese who (according to the Canton SAR) was at Valley Forge, his grave is in Sommerset, PA. And yes I have a picture. We will have to talk when we get a chance to meet!

Seth
    Seth

That's awesome Seth. At 17 years old My Oliver Brown enlisted in the Revolutionary War in 1777 under Capt. Eldridge. He served a year, and then later re-enlisted. He served with his regiment in NY, NJ, and PA and was in battles at Brandywine, Germantown, and Valley Forge.

He was wounded in battle, and was guard over Major Andre for one "watch" on the night previous to the spy's execution, on Oct 2, 1780. One night he halted Gen. Washington returning to camp without proper countersign, and marched him to the guard-house, for which he was praised by the General.

He and his family settled in Geauga County, OH and he is buried with military honors at the Concord Cemetery.

Both of our ancestors served at Valley Forge. They may have known each other, you never know.

Mike,
    It is a very small world... I can trace my dad's side (Angel) back to the early 1700's into the Fredrick Co., MD area. My paternal grandmother (Snyder and back through Balthazar Meese) goes way back to Odendorf (Westphalia) Germany. The Angel family was one of the early Harrison County settelers (Germano & New Rumley area), they moved into Tuscarawas County in the early/mid-1800's. Settled at Stone Creek (then Philipsburg). One daughter was the first burial in that cemetry. Every family has a story, just got to do a little looking. Seth

My last name is Root. I need to see if I am related to the famouse beekeeper AI Root. We're both from Ohio.

I just had to post this, I love looking back. I am Irish and like the fifth generation. But my wife is German, not only was she born there, here family was first generation German American. Grandma recalled the Nazis and trying to hid from them as a little girl. The past is so interesting, specially when you are related to it some how.

Oh and I just remembered my mom telling me when I was little that my Grand dad was a beekeeper too.

Ben are you in the Ashtabula County beekeepers association? I'm interested in maybe joining.