Hybrid View

Default cranberry pollination

Hi, I will have from 100-150 hives this year and was thinking about testing the waters with cranberry pollination with 50 of my hives. Ive never done a pollination contract before so I had a few questions. What are they paying for a hive in wisconsin? Whats the best way of getting a contract? (just call the growers i would assume) What kind of pesticides should i watch out for? Whats the standard hive strength for cranberries? Ive heard you can make some honey sometimes off cranberries?

I'm sure i will have more questions but thanks for any help in advance,

Steve

Default Re: cranberry pollination

I don't know anything about cranberry pollination in WI, Here in NY I pollinate about 80 acres of crans. I haven't noticed any problems w/ pesticides.

I get my cols into the crans soon after they come out of apple pollination and leave them there all Summer. I don't think they make anything in the way of honey from the crans. Not enuf for me to notice.

Actually, not that I spend a lot of time looking, I haven't seen bees working crans. But, the difference between them being there during pollination time and not was quite evident when one year I didn't have them there and the next year when I did and there was considerablly higher per acre berry production.

I get $50.00/cols. They may get more in WI.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Big Honey, there was an article in ABJ or Bee Culture within the last year about some Wisconsin Beeks who went to the Cranberries. One guys set up involved leaving the hives on a trailer with an electric fence attached to the top to keep the bears out. I have seen Cranberries mentioned a few times over the years and don't recall that anyone made honey off them.

You won't make any honey off the cranberries ,unless the bog is in area that has other sources around it. You will have to move them right at the end of the bloom because they spray ASAP for some kind of worm. The going rate is $65 to $70 per hive. They bloom different times depending where you are in Wi.
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

There is a guy out of Rhinelander (Hansen Honey) that has pollinated cranberries. Not sure if he still does or if he is willing to share info.

Some other beekeeper in northern Wisconsin uses a gutted out school bus to hold the hives to keep the bears off of them.
    Last edited by Bee Bliss; 01-13-2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: typo

Perhaps someone could speak up and explain the attraction of Cranberry pollination. I have talked to a few beeks that have done it and they always seem to tell the same story. The rates arent that good, it coincides with the main honey flow, they have to go in and come out in the middle of the summer when bee moving conditions arent great and worst of all the bees just do really poorly on cranberry pollen. A $60 per hive contract equates to about a medium of honey. Am I missing something?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney