Default Medium 8 Frame Swarm Trap

I wanted to be able to use old boxes to either 1. get more use from an old ready to retire box, or 2. leave the bees in the box I trapped them in. Here is my solution.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Medium 8 Frame Swarm Trap

Looks great.

I like the bottom tray with closure.

Make sure the opening has a screen across it that only bees can get thru, no birds and no mice.

They really like it if the top cover is completely light tight.

You have a good long verticle board so you can use two med. depth 8-framers to get the volume large enough to attract most swarms.
    A large swarm may not use the bottom super before you retrieve them, but even a small swarm will pass it up if too small.

Fill it up with old well used frames without wax or foundation and no worries about waxmoths.

Goodluck
    Push, Pull, or get Out of the Way

Thanks WPG.

You can't see it in the pic but there are crossed nails inside the 1-1/2" opening to keep the birds out, and with a simple turn they are ready to travel, with #8 hardware cloth in the other side.

I used a standard 1 x 4 and 1/2" ply for the bottom, so if I did the math right, with an 8 frame medium sitting on it, it should be about 38 liters. Everything I read says 40 is ideal, so close enough for me.

I have a new box sitting on it in the pic, but my intention is to set old used boxes on it. Between that, and used frames as you suggest, my odds should be as good as anyone's.

>They really like it if the top cover is completely light tight.

I caught swarms in mediums covered with thin plywood containing an entrance hole. Other than the possibility of rain coming in, the light did not seem to bother them.

I like that! Be careful getting it down when it's full of bees, it'll be a little heavier than a standard 1/2" ply swarm trap.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Thanks for the idea Beev -

I made up a bunch of medium hive bodies from salvaged barn wood. I wanted to deploy 5 or 6 as swarm traps and had a buch of 5 inch wide material left over. I ripped the material to 4 inches, which combined with the medium hive body makes almost 40 liters exactly.

While I had my dado blade in, I decided to do my entrance/closure mechanism a little differently. I made two of the slide blocs (only really need as many of them as swarms I'll be hiving in a day). I plan to put a screw in the stop block with some wire hanging from it, and another on the end of the sliding entrance block. When I want to retrieve, I just have to slide in the entrance block and wrap the wire around the screws. Still need to cut my 1 1/4 inch entry hole between the rails.

SwarmTrap 001.jpg

I like the idea of the slide block, but I think I would make the fit kinda sloppy so when it gets wet and swells it won't stick on you.
    Integrity - Doing the right thing when no one is watching.