Thread: Is this winter?

Default Is this winter?

Near middle of January in Chicago and we're roasting hotdogs outside tonight! A balmy 50°.
    Regards, Barry

Default Re: Is this winter?

I don't see snow on the ground, fire must have been hot.
    Dan

Please, please say you were roasting Vienna Beef and making real Chicago dogs... and drinking your own brew.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Well here in TN it just depends on which day you are talking about. Snow flurries one day and the next sunny and in the high 50s.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

Busted!!!! I looked high and low in both freezers and only found an old pkg of beef hotdogs, but they were not VB. Don't worry, VB is all I buy now. Even found some buns that had freezer burn. Not homebrew, didn't have any in the fridge already cold. This was a spur of the moment thing. I'll take another picture tomorrow with 6" of snow covering it.
    Regards, Barry

Just wait a day or two..... In Kentucky, if you don't like the weather, just wait three days. It will change.
    PS - We have snow showers coming tomorrow. It was 55 yesterday.

Phil
    Grandchildren are the best.... Bees a close second....

Barry it felt like winter this morning. 1 degree F. and a strong wind. Bees are still stayin' alive, stayin' alive, stayin' aliiiiiiiiive

Winter never got here to Michigan until Tuesday. I had calm upper 40's Monday and got feed on about 30 colonies just before it got here. This will be the shortest winter I have seen in 53 years

It's actually a bit scary here. The bees are flying most days. The hives I've opened have brood that I would expect to see in mid March. And they're going through their stores at an alarming rate. I had to feed a boatload of new colonies all summer and fall this year because our nectar flow was so low and now I'm ramping up to feed everyone for the remainder of the winter just to see them through until spring.
    No hotdogs here....every extra cent is going into sugar.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Danno, it's weird. Last winter seemed interminable.

Snow in Portland and Seattle today. December we were cold and dry. Running 10 degrees cooler than average and until this last week, a lot dryer than normal. Odd to ask somebody in the windy city to send the weather west!
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

A pretty good indication of the severity of a winter is the accumulated chill hours.
    http://www.griffin.uga.edu/aemn/cgi-...GAWH&report=ch
    The past two winters were close to normal. Three years ago was a bit mild.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

You know it's bitter cold when the dog doesn't even want to go outside. Glad we don't have to go outdoors to use the bathroom! LOL

Well, maybe we'll finally get enough ice to drive the truck on our favorite ice fishing lake.

Crazy winter here in Oklahoma also, warm days cool nights. Bees flying and using all their stores and finding nothing to bring to the hive. After last summers drought, I have been feeding most of the winter, trying to make it to spring.