Default (hard) Cider Apple Varieties... is anyone growing any?

Just curious if anyone is making cider from actual "cider apples".

If so, what do you have as varieties?
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Default Re: (hard) Cider Apple Varieties... is anyone growing any?

Well, I planted a few apple trees and then thought about a few cider trees. I planted a Michelin, a fox whelp, and two Kingston Black. Then I thought where will the bees come from? Bees are in trouble I had heard. So I did a google search for beekeeping and found Beesource and thought I can't afford to do that, and that led to Michael Bush's website and a top bar hive. Then a guy posted on Beesource that he had about four hives worth of boxes and 18 supers that had been stored in a shed for 20 years but were pretty good for FREE. So suddenly I could afford it, and then I kind of got side tracked away from the apple trees and obsessed with the bees. The Cider trees are growing well, but yet to bloom.

What is the difference between a cider apple and a regular apple? Is that also the same difference from apple cider and apple juice? I guess I thought a cider apple was perhaps more sour than regular apples, but IDK.

The juice from apples pressed at an orchard is called "cider" by a lot of people these days. I call it "juice"... these days.

I have never tasted the juice from fresh pressed cider varieties. "Hard" cider apples are not known for their dessert / eating qualities so I wouldn't expect their juice to be comparable to that from a typical orchards' blend of pressed dessert apples.

You can read about cider apples here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cider_apple
    BeeCurious

According to Cider Hard and Sweet "The basic components of any good cider are sweetness, acidity, bitterness, and aroma." A good hard cider is delicious. If my trees ever bear fruit I'm hoping for a cider that has some dryness to it. Brewing cider is supposed to be comparable to brewing mead, in other words it's not as fussy as beer or wine.

I keeved nine gallons of juice this year. It involves some "fussing" but can result in a sparkling French style cider. Mine is in my 36F attic, slowly bubbling away.
    BeeCurious