Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bee Bee Trees from OdFrank

58K views 39 replies 33 participants last post by  SouthTexasJohn 
#1 ·
I've bought Bee Bee tree seeds and young trees from Oliver Frank. Both transactions were quick, and very fair with good communication and tips on growing them successfully from Oliver. These trees are a great nectar source for the bees late summer, I cant wait for them to bloom! Thanks OD.

#28 ·
My trees came and they look great. After the Bee Bee trees arrived they were put in a pro-mix "sandwich." Heavy paper leaf bag, pro mix, trees, pro-mix, and then wrapped at the root to make a paper pot (secured with string). Then the trees were placed in heavy plastic bag and put in an unheated building. Come spring I can unwrap this "sandwich" and plant. I also received a bonus tree-so a bee friend will benefit from Mr. Frank's Bee Bee trees.

#30 ·
I ordered some seeds from Oliver and recieved them promptly. I stratified them for two months and took them out of the refridgerator on 4/10. I just got around to planting them today. Some of the seeds had already started to germinate! It is surprising how small the seeds are.

Tom

#37 ·
I've been wondering where to get those things. Maybe he should advertise with a line in his sig. Well, now I know. Now I just need to make some honey money. Right about now, if they were selling steamboats for a nickel, all I could do is run up and down the riverbank shouting "Ain't that cheap!"

#38 ·
Off sapling subject, but what is the true seed story? Been looking at various seed sources, much different advise.
Some say stratificiation needed for days, some say months, some say not required at all.
Some say scarify by soaking overnight with stratification not required.

What is the shelf live of the seeds?

#39 ·
I stratify for six weeks. Not sure about shelf life but at one point felt it was short. I will know next spring because I will be relying on two year old seed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.