Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Almonds Blooming Early?

77 today. Nectar and pollen pouring in. I guess i will postpone the next round of feeding.

Thakn you for that update, Mike.
    VERY good news.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

It looks like there might be some chance of rain over the next several days, but looks good further out. Some are worried about early swarming. I saw your bee pics on the OR website(great bees). YOU should be worried about early swarming

When I drove down I5 on Wed. gas was 3.90 something. When I headed north that evening, ALL the stations were at 4.09
    I hope fuel comes down before its time to move out.

Wish bees inmy area were carrying nectar and pollen. One load is close to I 5 and Manning south west of Fresno. Bloom in this yard was about 90 percent and you had to look to find ANY pollen,,,maybe one bee every two minutes and small amount of nectar on Thursday. Most trees in this area were at peak bloom. Friday I was looking at another load located about 15 miles north west of first Load and a few miles west of Fresno. Same thing...little pollen and nectar Temperature was 78 degrees. Beekeepers in the area
    were all hauling around totes of syrup feeding. I had lunch with one and talked to a few more and all beekeepers in our area are seeing a dry bloom. Looks like the trees took a break with about 65 percent of normal blossoms. I drove over From Vegas(much cheaper flight) and trees in southern Kern Co had peddle fall and some green starting to show...looks like a quick fast bloom if cool weather dont slow it and I'm betting on a small almond crop. Feeding my bees syrup and pollen this week! I was thinking before cool weather today that 10 to 15 days in my area it will be over.

Bees around shop were absent in the AM working local orchards. Wind is up on the Westside and a few bees started around the shop in the early afternoon. Wind should have shut down exposed hives. Dust is moderate to severe around worked ground.

This was the first orchard I saw come into bloom.Leaves are coming out on it. But most in the area(far north) were reaching full bloom. The wind is not going to help. Probably not going to be able to skip feeding for long, but who knows?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...e/100_0669.jpg

Gonna be a fast in and out. Our NPs are turning green. The buttes have about 5% that still need to open. Rest shining nicely. Lots of flowers. If this keeps up the Carmels will be breaking branches come summer. This show will be wrapped up in 10 days or less. "Pink Snow" on the ground in the trees across the road already..... Grafting starts next week. Here we go....again...

So what is the word around the chowchilla area,anyone know. How long before the last petal falls?

Big Grin Re: Almonds Blooming Early?

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    Gonna be a fast in and out.
    Well if thats the case Phil, come-on over, got plenty blues to load out.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Thanks for the offer. You know if you are truly stuck you may give me a buzz. Might be a good opportunity to test drive a new (lightly used) Swinger?

I drove down yesterday to gather up feeder cans. It was very windy ahead of the coming rain. Bees were working as it warmed up, but the wind was giving them trouble.This picture shows the contrast between early blooming varieties and late in the same orchard. Of course, fungicides were being applied .

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...e/100_0682.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12