Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Health benefits of honey

I tried the hibernation diet this spring for a couple months. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c1lbfhPLeM

It seemed to work. I lost about 15 lbs. I also discovered that swallowing a mouthful of honey right before bed allows one to function on less sleep for longer periods of time.

This is anecdotal evidence, not medically proven.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

That guy needs to speak up a bit or get a better sound tech.

Less sleep for longer periods of time? As in fewer hours of sleep per night for a period of weeks? I guess that would come in handy for a student of new parent. I'd love to get a complete and restful nights sleep. No matter how many hours that was.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Why, you need to buy my honey of course and you need LOTS of it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Okay, I'll bite. Say a person, such as myself, wanted to loose 30 lbs, which would be beneficial to my health, what's the prescribed amount of honey which I should add to my daily regimen?

Does the floral source of the honey matter?

My apologies, Mark B. I didn’t realize it was bad manners here to address someone by their ‘screen’ name.

On the issue of which Honey:

All honey is good, it is just that some honey is better. The honey that is best for any one individual is the honey that tastes the best on that individual’s tongue. We all have different habits, foods and environments, which give us all a different immediate metabolic situation.

There are also a massive number of different bioflavonoids in the various nectars the bees gather. So, as with modern medicines, the particular condition of one’s biochemistry will dictate just which bioflavonoid is best suited to return that person to a natural balance (or homeostasis as it is called). When one’s chemistry is in balance, the body is able to generate and utilise energy to the maximum degree. Sickness fades away when energy is present.

With regards to weight management:

There is more to weight management than just food, such as genetics, attitude and belief systems, but food is a great place to start when one wants to change things. But before anyone will voluntarily change their food habits, they will of necessity make some changes in their thinking patterns. Our ‘intent’ is also important. Experimenting with honey to ‘see if it works’ will only benefit those with an open and inquiring mind. Those who only seek evidence that honey doesn’t work, will find it.

Researchers who study honey often switch on big-time to the use of honey. Sceptics are often people who don’t bother to investigate; they simply take a position and stick with it regardless. But the judgements of our more rational mind (our ‘believing’ department) are required as well as our straight out logic. Logic can trick us if our basic premise is flawed. Looking around and studying those who are ‘believers’ in honey and comparing them with those who are sceptics, can reveal some handy clues.

In your hypothetical case of someone wanting to lose 30 pounds, Mark B, the book (which you apparently have declined to read) states that five tablespoons per day is a handy figure to start with. This is, however, to REPLACE as many as possible of that person’s previously consumed sweeteners. So you can see that quite a bit of commitment is required to change many things in the diet before the optimum benefit can be obtained from the honey. There is such an ungodly amount of sweeteners in most all highly processed food, than the newbies to natural health are seriously challenged to make these necessary changes. That hypothetical person mentioned above, would not be likely to succeed instantly, especially if he/she could not even be bothered enough to read the book! However, a person really determined to change things can literally perform miracles!

Particular attention should be paid, mind you, to just how REAL foodstuffs of every persuasion are. Fake honey, fake foods, fake vitamins and fake medicines are ubiquitous these days. The change to REAL food is no mean challenge. Unfortunately, our modern medical culture allows us to carry on with our folly until we have gone past the point of ‘no return’ and the simple nostrum of having five spoons of honey per day may not be enough to turn a dying person into a vibrant athlete. Dr. Fessenden sub-titled his book, ‘Restoring the Health of Future Generations.” Maybe the best way to ‘test’ honey is to supply it generously to your children and grandchildren.

For the rest of us, however, those with sufficient youth, vigour and mental acuity still present, honey is probably the Ace of all foodstuffs to add to the diet of the sick, tired or depressed. Honey may not have the sheer shocking power to raise Lazarus, but it certainly does give a person clean and efficient energy, both mental and physical, to address a few of his/her myriad bad habits. So for those who want to accept the responsibility for their improvement, honey is a great place to start.

I waited to see if Bee Bliss would answer those questions, as their style is probably more acceptable. Alas, but I could wait no longer! Perhaps if I upset the readers, Bee Bliss can soothe them down with a bit of honey.

Cheers,

JohnS
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 01-16-2012 at 05:07 PM.

There is nothing wrong w/ addressing someone by there screen name. But you didn't. My screen name is sqkcrk and you addressed me as Squak or something. Maybe you were being cute, but not respectful. Let's start again.

Hi John, welcome to beesource.com. My name is Mark Berninghausen and have a screen name of sqkcrk, which stands for Squeak Creek, the name of my honey company. You may refer to me as Mark or sqkcrk.
    Thank you,
    Mark
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12