Hybrid View

Smile mead help not sure what to do next

Made a batch of Joes ancient mead back in Sept- has never really cleared, the some of the fruit sank but its pretty cloudy- did bubble away nicely at the beginning but then stopped. Probably it was kept a little too cool

Racked it today the reading on the hydrometer was 1.14 which is sweet?
    and the percent potential alcohol is 14, have no idea what it was to start with so no idea what this means
    it does smells really good

Question

Its back in a carboy- what to do now? leave it?
    should we check with hydrometer again? when?
    is it drinkable?
    with all the fruit and sediment out the carboy is not very full- is that a problem

Thanks!

Default Re: mead help not sure what to do next

I have a batch of this started a month ago, most said it will finish sweet. Directions said after two months to bottle and drink.
    Its my first shot at mead, made wine before though.

Well that all depends on the starting gravity. Unless you began the must as undiluted honey, this never started fermenting (or didn't get very far). 1.140 is more like a starting gravity, and more like 18.5% potential alcohol. Very possible that it was too cool and the yeast just never got their boots on. I'd warm it up and repitch if it doesn't start fermenting pretty readily.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Followed the reciepe directly using fresh (new) fleishman yeast did bubble away but really slowly for the first 6 weeks but then never cleared
    so how does one repitch it? or is it better to start over?

Rehydrate another sachet of yeast and add it to the must. Oh, wait, just read your first sentence. Bread yeast won't cut it; it's bred for CO2 production as opposed to flavor and alcohol tolerance. We have our culprit . Find your local homebrew shop and spurge the dollar on some wine yeast.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Joes ancient orange mead calls for bread yeast and I think classic jaom is sweet and not terribly alcoholic. I wonder if the hydrometer is being read properly or as you said it is too cool where you fermented it. Taste it and see if your horse has diabetes is the next step! If it hadn't worked some, I think it would be growing mold by now wouldn't it? Thaat all said, the moderator knows much much more than I!! Good luck. My first batch was started end of August and Is one heck of a parts washer solvent, but not very drinkable yet. You may need to give it more time.