Default All Medium Equipment, Best Trap Options

I'm running all 8-frame Medium equipment. I'm about to construct some 5 frame Nucs and Medium Supers/Hive bodies. In addition to putting out some traps, I would like to try and build/overwinter a couple Nucs this fall.

What configuration would work best for swarm capture? Interested is what some experience has been. I'm thinking a single 5 frame Medium Nuc will be too small.

• Two 5 frame Nucs attached/stacked,
    • A single 8 frame Medium Box?
    • A couple 8 Frame Medium Boxes stacked?

I really do not want to use any deep equipment unless I come across it for free some day.

Thanks!

Default Re: All Medium Equipment, Best Trap Options

I have some medium hives too, I just put medium frames into a deep hive body. Works great and it's about the size they perfer.
    If I were to use 8 frame mediums, it would be two stacked.

I am by no means an expert at this, but...if it were me, I think I would use at least two of those nuc bodies (assuming the nucs are also mediums) and perhaps three. I have deep nucs that I use for traps but I am thinking they may be too small, particularly for a primary swarm. They will probably be OK for an afterswarm. Same thing with the 8-frame mediums. I think I would try to use two of those. Better to have too much than too little and miss the larger swarms. A ratchet strap run around the boxes should suffice for holding them together. BTW, I try to use previously occupied boxes for swarm traps. -james

I think five frame medium nucs are too small to be as effective as a five frame deep or an eight frame medium. I use old deep nucs with medium frames in them or old deep ten frame boxes with medium frames in them or eight frame medium boxes with medium frames in them.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have extra empty mediums and lots of empty medium frames without foundation. Michael Bush mentions eight frame medium boxes with medium frames in them...is that with foundation and with drawn comb? With brood? Or just with lemon grass attractant and no foundation?

Beecuz

The lemongrass oil is the most important ingredient, but I like one old brood comb. The rest are always foundationless frames.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF