Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Default Re: Purdue university study confirms neonicotinoids on maize killing honeybees

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapfe View Post
    So? Didn’t I say that Monsanto owned some seed distribution companies but not others, Seminis and De Ruiter are only two, what‘s your point???
    Scrapfe, maybe you over looked the part about "and regional brands" which could combine with Seminis and De Ruiter to make up the vast majority of all seed distribution.

My point is that I expected your bias would allow you to read Monsanto's own admission that they ARE a seed business and continue to maintain that they aren't... and that as usual you would continue to assert that everything you post is a fact in one twisted way or another.

Default Re: Purdue university study confirms neonicotinoids on maize killing honeybees

Well now this whole kettle is all stirred up again. I'm sorry. I was part of it. It doesn't matter how much Scrapfe extolls the virtues of Monsanto, I'm still not gonna like them.

And knowledge doesn't always produce truth. Enough knowledge can then be used to manipulate facts and nuances to mislead, and increase power exponentially.

I'd name some examples, but since it is unlikely that I will change anyone's mind, I'm going back to packing orders and figuring out a woodware order. If you want to help me shop Mann Lake - tip request on the hardware thread.

I've got to sleep, early job in the morning, and it's a long one.

And as Lauri said: just follow the money. Who has the most to gain by said manipulations usually has blueberry pie all over their face.
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, guess I will teach permaculture in drought. The bees are still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieGardener View Post
    Monsanto does not own all hybrids and hybrids are vastly different from GMO varieties. Hybrids usually aren't restricted or protected to the same degree as GMO's. Partly because most hybrid crosses aren't stable and saving seeds from them is a crap shoot as you never know what traits you will wind up with from the offspring of seeds that you save and replant.
    So I guesss I dont see the problem of Mansanto having control over hybrid seeds.

The GMO thing is a completely different issue and really has nothing to do with purchasing seeds for the garden, unless you plant RR Soybeans between your rows of tomatoes.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

I'll be buying a lot of seeds this year and storing at a controlled temp and humidity for future years. I have zero reason to trust monsanto. What I can get in heirloom varieties will be first choice. right now monsanto hasn't had time to tamper with the rest, in my understanding.
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, guess I will teach permaculture in drought. The bees are still alive.

Do you think that Monsanto's goal is to eventually control or eliminate all heirloom seed varities? Thus forcing you to purchase only their hybrids?

No I think Monsanto's goal is to make more and more money with no concern for the environment or the people that they destroy. This is much the same way any monopoly would conduct themselves.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    So I guesss I dont see the problem of Mansanto having control over hybrid seeds.

The GMO thing is a completely different issue and really has nothing to do with purchasing seeds for the garden, unless you plant RR Soybeans between your rows of tomatoes.
    I enjoy the diversity of raising heirloom varieties and don't really need the benefits that most of the hybrids offer, plus I like to have the option of saving my own seeds if I choose to do so, now or in the future. I grow a few hybrids but there are so many more options available if you explore the heirloom seeds that are available.

Do you think that Monsanto's goal is to eventually control or eliminate all heirloom seed varities? Thus forcing you to purchase only their hybrids?
    Who knows what their ultimate goal is, but I agree with Ace that they are out to maximize profits. Eliminating heirlooms and other varieties that they can't control would have to be good for their business and they have purchased small seed companies in the past which offered open pollinated varieties of seed that Monsanto had no interest in continuing. Making money is fine but don't destroy heirloom seeds or restrict the opportunities for growers to maintain and grow their own seeds.

Monsanto's goal is to make money.
    My goal is to have safe food that I know provides healthy nutrients.
    Those 2 goals may be on a collision course. For my own goal, I'm saving seeds. Not illegal, not immoral.

- did you notice that for all the pink ribbon campaigns breast cancer incidence continues to go up, not down? For all the greater volume of food produced, human health is going down. Something is wrong with this picture. It's not my job to figure out what.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsi View Post
    It's not my job to figure out what.
    You already have. You are what you eat. Same for bees and any living thing you can think of. There is one important ingredient missing in a civilized food source. Dirt! It is very evident between a pastured pig and a barn raised pig.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsi View Post
    - did you notice that for all the pink ribbon campaigns breast cancer incidence continues to go up, not down?
    Really? What is your source? What is the cause?

Nowadays we seem to have people, primarily Politicians, making statements, not fact based, masquerading as facts. If what you say is a fact, that is too bad. But, it is also only part of the story.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    There is one important ingredient missing in a civilized food source. Dirt! It is very evident between a pastured pig and a barn raised pig.
    Huh? Are you refering to soil as a source of minerals?
    Mark Berninghausen

Yes. There are other benefits.
    Brian Cardinal

So all we have to do is eat more DIRT? Then we will all be healthy and the world will be safe from breast cancer? Interesting theory.

Yes. There are other benefits.
    Such as?
    Mark Berninghausen

So all we have to do is eat more DIRT? Then we will all be healthy and the world will be safe from breast cancer? Interesting theory.
    As usual you twist most of what I say. The benefits are more for male cancers than female and you can read up on it if you like. I think it is just a matter of a few posts and I will get wacked again for derailing a post so I am bowing out.
    Brian Cardinal

As usual you twist most of what I say.
    Maybe if you had said something more understandable this sort of thing wouldn't happen. So much.
    Mark Berninghausen

As usual you twist most of what I say. The benefits are more for male cancers than female and you can read up on it if you like.
    Twisting words? You said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Acebird
    There is one important ingredient missing in a civilized food source. Dirt! It is very evident between a pastured pig and a barn raised pig.
    I was assuming that you were saying that there are benefits of eating dirt. No? Then you go on to say something really vauge about male versus female cancer, proving that my comment about breast cancer actually
    did have something to do with your eating dirt comment. No?

Where is the "twist", Ace?

And now, back to Beekeeping!
    Smiles everyone