Thread: Mexican clover

Default Mexican clover

Where can you buy Mexican Clover seed?

Default Re: Mexican clover

I searched for it but everything I can find speaks of it as a weed. Not sure any supplier woudl carry the seed if it is considered an nausance.

I see you live in Florida...Take the wife/girlfriend/boyfriend down to the Ft. Lauderdale area...The stuff grows wild all over the place..sides of roads, parks, fields everyplace.

The mexican clover is considered a weed down here . Get a spade with some paper bags you can have all the clover you want for free. Alot of people will even help you harvest it from yards and fields. Once you get it in the ground within a year the whole area will be filled with it.

FYI in South Forida the Mexican Clover just finished and has gone dorment but will be back normally in the beginning of summer. 3 times a year..

Planting non-native plants for bees is simply shooting ourselves in the foot. Ruining the environment the bees need to survive, and thrive - is that what you really want to do!?

There are so many really, really good native plants that the bees love - why would we plant something that we know is not native and re-create the HUGE problems we have with non-native plants AGAIN. We have made this mistake so many times and it is costing us billions of dollars, ruining our water quality and impacting our ability to raise food and animal crops.

PLEASE LEARN from the mistakes of others and don't follow their example. Planting non-native plants is a short-sighted, fool's errand that will cost all of us, including the bees.

If you have any doubts look at the costs of non-native plants like: Star thistle in the west, melaleuca trees in the everglades, Purple loosestrive on both seaboards, Leafy spurge in the Plains states, Garlic mustard and european honeysuckle in the Midwest. The costs are astronomical both in money spent controlling these species and the loss of food and forage for our livestock.

Please be careful and research whether the species is native before you plant it.

Very good point.

I agree about not planting non-native flowers in most cases...I have also seen these flowers up to about/around the Orlando Area..(did not do much driving in other places around central and North Florida ). I dont know if they can grow much further due to the colder winter temps starting around Central Florida, but in South Florida anyway the National Audubon Society and the IFAS
    (Institute of Food and Agricultual Society out of the University of Florida) did an assessment of mexican clover...Each study stated that as of 2007 the plant is "not a problem species"...not to mention they are very pretty and can cover a large area of fields, yards if you want annuals.

Only problem is if you dont contain the flowers in the area you want they can spread pretty fast. I have seen many people in South Florida combat this problem by making a flower bed and keeping a foot border around the flowers to keep them from going where you dont want to. And they bees love them and can fill up a supper pretty fast. Not to mention this honey is very sweet.

Will it grow in any other areas?

I am not sure as I live in south florida. I do know they can grow
    In the southern states of America. I believe all it
    Needs is full sunlight and good water conditions. Do a google/bing search
    For it . I know there are several sites that breaks the growing conditions down.

Kinda happy this stuff grows down here . Living
    In zone 10 sucks as I have limited choices regarding wild flowers

It's a weed in my yard...provides ground cover with thousands of flowers. According to a fellow beekeeper, the mexican clover is not a substantial source of nectar. Seems to provide pollen though (bees covered white with pollen).
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Zone 10a; Elevation 13 feet