Hybrid View

Default We didn't have enough to worry about....now Zombie flies?!

Anyone hear anything about these Zombie flies, now being found in CA?
    http://news.yahoo.com/zombie-fly-par...230200867.html

Sheri

Default Re: We didn't have enough to worry about....now Zombie flies?!

Yep, they were last seen multiplying at an alarming rate in the Diseases and Pests Forum!

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-zombie-slaves
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yep, they were last seen multiplying at an alarming rate in the Diseases and Pests Forum!

I needed a laugh!
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, guess I will teach permaculture in drought. The bees are still alive.

Barry's right and they have spread over to the general forum, where Monsanto has propagated them. From there the flies have turned forum members brains into mush. Poor Ace was the first to be Zombified. He will never get that plane off the ground now!!TED
    ALABAMA BEE COMPANY-A member of the Sioux Honey association -*Sweetening a golden tommorrow*

Now for a more serious note...Back in the late ninties, USDA scientist released with good intentions the Phorid fly in the effort to control fireants. The fly does the same thing to the ants as the flies in California do to bees, eats their brains out. What is interesting that within one year after that release of the the Phorid flies in the Montgomery, Alabama area, 50% of ALL commercial colonies collapsed and died out. We could never get the USDA researcher to admit that the fly had crossed over to another species-the honeybee. But it is strange that fireants nest deep in the ground during the winter months and the fly had to overwinter somewhere, possible in beehives. Biologically, there is not much difference in an ant and a honeybee. Since then, there is only one commercial operation left in the state of Alabama. All the others literally died out. Makes you wonder if USDA in its intent to rid the Southern United States of a major pest, did not accidentally shoot commercial beekeeping in the foot. That dieoff, years ago is considered the first report of the CCD outbreak in the United States. I lost 50% of my bees during that time. TED
    ALABAMA BEE COMPANY-A member of the Sioux Honey association -*Sweetening a golden tommorrow*

Why am I not surprised? Thanks Ted. I am sorry for all of our losses.
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, guess I will teach permaculture in drought. The bees are still alive.

here is a thread from a year ago
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...240#post611240
    made me worry then, still do.

The genus that attacks ants is Pseudacteon, the genus that attacks bees and wasps is apparently Apocephalus. These flies tend to be very host specific so presumably the fire ant specific ones should not be a problem for bees. It would be interesting to know what species of phorids were screened in the labs while surveying for an ant biological control agent. What was brought in and did any escape? There is a thread in the diseases and pest forum.
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

Species specific my !!!! Alabama lost half her bees after the Phorid fly was released back in the late 1990's.......TED

I'm on your side Ted. This is what makes me nervous about Monsanto. Scientists who think they are smarter than they actually are.

Maybe Monsanto's Beeologics will develop a Remembee product that can eliminate the phorid fly threat?

They have the technology.