Default want to make splits

For all the experts
    Hoping to come out of winter with the two first year hives I went into winter with. I wintered with 2 deeps and a medium on both hives, low mite counts and high number of bees. I would like to do a split on each hive but am a little uneducated on the logistics of how to do this and would appreciate any help! Again I have two deeps and a med on each hive and assume the cluster will be in the upper deep and med coming out of winter into spring
    Thanks Massachusetts beekeeper

Default Re: want to make splits

Set up two bottom boards, put one of the two supers from each hive on the new bottom board, move frames as needed to equalize the brood in both hives, put a caged queen in each new hive (or be prepared to deal with the hive dwindling for 40 days) reduce the entrance so they can defend against intruders (robbers, wax moths, and small hive beetles)
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

When the time is right in spring, this how I do it.

Strong hives with 12-16 frames of brood are candidates. I look for 8-10 frames of mostly capped brood and take 2-3 frames of capped brood and adhering bees (no queen) and place them into a nuc box. Take one frame of honey and one frame of pollen and add them to the nuc. Add puchased queen in cage 4-6 hours after the split. Done

Walk away split is the same as above but include 1 frame of eggs with 1-3 day old larvae in place of capped brood frame. Let them raise thier won queen.

Swarm season. Start moving frames of uncapped queen cells into nuc boxes along with capped brood. More than one cell is fine. Do it before the queens cells are capped. After they are capped is fine for the nuc but too late to fend off swarming of parent hive.

Splits are pretty simple once you do a couple.
    Last edited by Michael B; 01-04-2012 at 06:55 PM.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

This is my fourth year (2012) and my neighbors have said that you can save money by not purchasing a queen and allowing the bees to make their own queen. I plan to start 10 new hives this year. I plan to start 5 on one farm with 3 strong frames and a purchased queen (Kelley Bees in KY) and 5 on another farm with no queen (just three strong frames). What is the probibility the 5 making their own queen are successful?

Phil
    Grandchildren are the best.... Bees a close second....

Quote Originally Posted by New Ky Beekeeper View Post
    What is the probibility the 5 making their own queen are successful?

Phil
    I have only started one hive that way, but for what it is worth, I have a 100% success rate.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

my only experience was making a 50/50 split of a really strong hive last spring. it was during the main flow, and the two hives made about 170 lbs. surplus honey combined.

I made my first splits last August. I started with 2 nucs since I had only two full size hives to pull from. Both nucs made their own (Italian)queens, but one had deformed wings, which sucked. Ended up killing her. The other nuc's virgin got mated and proceded to lay like a champion and her offspring were very calm on the frames, nice to work with! They went from 2 frames of brood, 2 frames of food and one undrawn frame and turned it into five frames drawn out in the bottom and almost 4 drawn out in the top nuc before winter! I just moved that set-up into a 10 frame deep almost two weeks ago and they are still doing great!!

The other nuc I made up with the deformed wing queen I ended up getting 3 queens from Oliverez and put a queen in with that queenless nuc and made up two other nucs, one carnolian and one italian and put the other queens in. The Italian queen was killed during a robbing session (I believe) so I paper combined that hive with the carnolian hive (with oliverez carni queen) and they are doing great today as well!!

So I got to make my own queen, have a queen hatch with issues, have a queen get killed and have another caged queen do well also!! It was a great first year and first attempt at doing splits!!

With the exception of ordering a couple sunkist queens I am also going to do some splits and let them raise their own queens, its fun!!
    Coyote Creek Bees