Default Feeding Pollen patties

Do I need to remove a honey super to feed pollen patties?

I have 2 deeps and a honey super on the hive now.

Thanks

Dave

Default Re: Feeding Pollen patties

Well, you probably do have to take the super off to get the pattie right on top of the bees, unless tyhe bees are in the honey super. In that case, just put the patty on top.

You should put the patty where the bees can get to it.

Is the honey super full of honey?
    Do you need to feed pollen patty? Why?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

First timer here with question, so will try again.

Is there any danger of feeding pollen pattys when there are honey supers on the hive.
    Will the bees store the pattys in the Honey super and contaminate the honey?

Thanks for your patience.

Dsukup

No, no danger. No, they will not store the patty in the Honey super and contaminate the honey.

Yer welcome.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Here's some very good information for you to assimilate on a winter night.
    http://www.globalpatties.com/
    They make a reference about the benefits of feeding patties in winter!
    Good luck,
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

It's my understanding (& I've been corrected a few times) that bees die in winter by starving & not necessarily from the cold. I feed pollen & 2:1 until they stop. I convert from top feeders to bucket feeders right on top of the cluster frames in winter because they don't like making that 6" trip in the cold & place my patties around it.

You want their winter stores to be immediately accessable to them so they don't have to break cluster to feed which is why I would double-think keeping that super on. If they don't have enough stores in the box(es) they are clustered in & have to pull feed off an unoccupied super, could be trouble.
    EAS Georgia Certified. "Tradition - Even if you have done it the same way for years doesn't mean that it is not stupid."

Dry sugar or candy boards work better than syrup in cold weather because the bees won't take the syrup when it's below 50F or so. They will indeed cluster right up against the candy or dry sugar, and the moist air in the cluster will make syrup on the surface of the candy or hardened dry sugar, the bees don't have to break cluster to get to it.

You can add protien to the candy or use patties. along with the candy board.

Obviously, the better course is for the bees to have plenty of honey and pollen stored where they want it so they don't use it all up. Not an option for me this year, the hives were very light going into winter, and I was gone the week I needed to feed them heavily.

Peter