Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bees given through samaritan's purse

Our son informed us tonight that he gave a gift in our honor to Samaritans Purse which will be used to purchase bees for someone in the Sudan. I have given chickens and goats but did not know bees can be given to a needy family for $35.00. That is great IMO. Anyone else heard of this?

Default Re: Bees given through samaritan's purse

sweet. I had not heard of bees. The others yes. Way to cool

We donate monthly to this group https://secure1.heifer.org/gift-catalog/honeybees.html It is the same principle. Glad you enjoyed the donation in your name....pretty cool.

That's cool! My wife an I were in rural Ethiopia last summer, during our sons adoption, and saw some Kenyan hives, some feral bees living in an ancient stone church, and some really weird massive columnar hives clad in black plastic (I've got some distant pics, but we werent able to stop in the area, so they arent great.). I've been thinking about trying to set up some entrepreneurs. I know a guy who does videography for Samaratins Purse - what a gret opportunity!

I gave a bee hive thru another charity as a one time donation and have seen hundreds of dollars of donor soliciations hit my mail box! Tears my heart out because it seems that when one gives, it only benefits the firms selling solicitations for the charities! Even Kiva.org is falling into this trap. I don't know what the answer is. Just sad.

Heifer International sends bees to people. They also do cows, goats, sheep, and chickens, I believe.

If one has a Social Action Committee at your Church, giving thru that avenue avoids getting more junk mail and phone calls. "I give thru my Church." is now my reply to phone solicitations.

Good one paintingpreacher. thanks for bringing this up.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

We've done Samaritan's Purse and another (whose name escapes me) for years with our kids.

I **HIGHLY** recommend checking out whatever charity you choose through http://www.charitynavigator.org or another charity ranking website.

seems funny to me why you would want to send bees to another country when we are having problems of our own with honeybees and trying to get the younger generation interested, there are some really smart people here in the states that given a chance might just show us a thing or two.

There's room for all kinds of giving, if you look for or recognize the opportunity. Many Bee Clubs sponsor scholorships in bee related studies, or awards initiative shown by a young person who shows some interest in bees.

Use your imagination. Take some bees into a local school, give a talk and sponsor a Vo/Ag class in beekeeping.

I guess if you can see it, you'll get it. If not, not. No big deal either way. Many do.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by twd8711 View Post
    seems funny to me why you would want to send bees to another country when we are having problems of our own with honeybees and trying to get the younger generation interested, there are some really smart people here in the states that given a chance might just show us a thing or two.
    Those smart ones you speak of need a Job, the people in this post have no way to earn!!!! but are more than willing to
    WORK and WORK hard for a meal
    JMHO

Tommyt

I love to encourage young people to get into beekeeping. Shared with many elementary groups this past summer and plan to do so this next summer if able. Sometimes I give swarms to young people just to help them get started. What these charities are doing gives starving people around the world an opportunity to maybe stay alive. Chickens, goats, bees,, can be a source of food or income. A package of bees could help keep someone alive, that is good imo. This is probably the only way some could ever have honeybees.

Like some of the above posters, I gave money to some charities that then bummed me to death. I also found my name on a lot of additional solicitor's lists. My favorite charity is the Salvation Army. They have low overhead and rally well to our domestic emergencies. Of course, giving to our church helps a lot of people, locally and foreign. It's a shame that so many organizations peddle their client list.

It's not only in charities. My wife and I bought a new home a couple of years back, and all of a sudden the vacation home, time share and others were sending me letters and giving me telephone calls. There should be a law against selling such information.

I am the executive director for a non for profit 501-C-3 organization that serves 27,000 meals a year, we have 2 orphanages, 1 teen shelter for homeless kids, a rehabilitation center and many outreach programs and feeding kitchens, missions and churches.
    The saddest part I have ever witnessed in my life, is missionaries or donors that are taken advantage of, because they just trust too much. I believe that a donor has the Obligation to find out where the money goes, how it is spent and so on. I know of some American "missionaries”, which live well at some Mexican towns, where they do nothing they claim to do, to supporters in their hometowns, and at different times, have tried to take advantage of the work we do, for lack of doing anything on their own.
    There is a sophisticated donation acquisition system, were you can buy names, phone numbers, addresses and personal information of people that have donated somewhere, and where you can sell those same data basis to the same organizations. Most powerful organizations spend most of the money paying themselves and their donor acquisition systems.
    Be careful, be wise, be responsible and donate only when you are certain where and how your money is spent – I do. We have established within our ministry, what we call “Paul’s call”. Apostle Paul earned his keep thru making tents and not thru donations. He even bragged about supporting himself and not being a burden to others. At our ministry, the main people, those with the highest authority and responsibility; have employment somewhere else, and we support ourselves with money earned anywhere else but the ministry. This insures a true and honest heart and interior motive for serving others.
    Is it wrong to make money if you work for a non for profit organizations? –I think not on most cases. I believe that some none for profit organizations have diluted the real call – a call of sacrifice, a call of humility and a call that demands making it about the other guy and not about themselves.

Aurelio (leo) Paez
    DBA Michas Honey House

My wife received a Heifer certificate for honeybees for Christmas from one of my good honey customers. After doing some homework and investigation of Heifer my wife gave certificates to each of her seven bridge club members for Christmas. We think it was better than the "junk type" gifts that are exchanged at Christmas and end up going to Goodwill the next day.

Steve

This year our bee club donated three hives to Heifer - at the suggestion of one of our youth members, no less. Another member had been to Africa a few years ago and had seen both cattle and hives delivered by this organization, so we were confident this was legit.

dr.buzz Guest

But back to the thread topic: Hopefully when you donate bees to the third world, someone is qualified to teach them to keep the bees properly. Tell them that stimulative feeding can have just as disastrous of an effect on bees as it can on humans. Actually, if we are still feeding the people there, what are they going to feed their bees? Or do we have to send 1:1 syrup, too?
    Last edited by Barry; 01-04-2012 at 06:58 AM. Reason: off topic political/religious

Just to throw in a thought or 2. First the bees, goats, animals of any sort are not "sent". The shipping of those creatures would be considerably expensive. Not to mention their demise as they sit in quarantine as they are moved across an international border. All of those animals and insects are purchased "locally". It is just more efficient to do it that way.

I'm familiar with Heifer International and Children's Hunger Fund. Both stellar organizations IMHO. The other point you must consider when contributing to these types of charities is how much of their budget goes to marketing and administration and how much actually goes to meeting the needs of people.

I have personally been to Uganda twice and will be going back in July. Specifically to help with a beekeeping project. What amazes me most is how much those folks are able to accomplish with so little and how much impact our giving has on them. You have all heard the adage that says " give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime" most legitimate charitable organizations are about empowering indigenous people's to fend for themselves.
    My first discovery in beekeeping...
    Fast, Cheap and Easy ... You get to pick two!

dr.buzz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kimosabe View Post
    You have all heard the adage that says " give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"
    Teach a Ugandan beekeeper to do splits and we don't need to send anyone $35. But really, we are striving to "empower" Ugandans to "fend for themselves"---in Uganda?

Why are you so sinical about this dr. buzz. No one is taking money out of your pocket or telling you to send aid. Do it if you see value, don't if you don't.

Are you concerned someone will get duped?
    Mark Berninghausen

I think I'm going to start giving bees regularly through Heifer.

"Charity Navigator gives Heifer International an overall rating of 3 out of 4 stars. 76% of expenses go to programs; fundraising and administrative expenses are 24%."

Samaritan's Purse gets a little better ratings but Franklin Graham is associated with them, and that's a little less attractive to me. Plus Heifer is more or less local (Little Rock). Heifer does spend a bit more on fundraising, but about the same on administrative. I suspect Samaritan gets quite a bit of free fundraising based on with whom they are affiliated.

Upon further investigation, it turns out Samaritan pays Graham almost half a million dollars per year while Heifer pays their leader half as much. I'd estimate due to his other commitments, Samaritan's is not getting their money's worth. Heifer it is.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline