Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trying to figure out what kind of hive I have.

I caught some wild/feral bees, made a hive and some frames, started with just bees no wax no comb not anything, my frames are rectangular that are open on the inside with a few lines of thread between them [==] <- is about what they look like. my bees filled them in with wax now, so they are a rectangle filled with comb, they live in their hive, and do their thing, I have never "fed" them, haven't ever added anything to the hive (chemical or else-wise) and about the only thing I've ever done that was not natural was killed a few wax moths I saw hanging out by my hive and crushed a few SHB when I checked on my bees. I also have a wax moth trap hanging in a tree about 40 feet from my hive. I am wondering what category of Bee keeping do I fall into? Thanks for the help.

Default Re: Trying to figure out what kind of hive I have.

Can't say.

What is your wax moth trap like?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

a banana peel rotting in water, inside of a 2 liter bottle with a hole in the side of the bottle.

> I am wondering what category of Bee keeping do I fall into?

The 'frugal' category.

If you fall into a category, you might just be clumsy.

Crazy Roland with a Crazy answer

I wouldn't say I'm "Frugal" as my reason is not that I wish to save money, I have no problems spending, I think bees have gotten by just fine in nature without human intervention and since I am not commercially producing anything I think that they can continue on their natural life-cycle without my interference.

"fall into"

You are just a naturalist, which is cool. I too run feral bees. I am into saving the feral bees in my area. They are really sweet and do well, when we are not in a major drought. Then I feed them, to help them after a cut-out, or etc. Check it out: http://www.daddysbees.com

I like this thread - my kinda beekeeping
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

:-) Thank you Gypsi !!!! We just love saving our feral bees from certain death!!!

You just reminded me where I started from, and I believe I'm going back there. I don't want to be a commercial beek. I just like bees.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Brian, you remind me of the kind of person who keeps birdhouses. A nice little house here, a bird feeder there. It's refreshing.

Carry on.

Watch out though. There are those who would classify you as a bee-haver. It's alright though. I get called all kinds of things.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Gypsi- Thank you, I'm flattered. I love bees, ever since I was a kid, and it really made me flip when the Florida utilities guy just wanted to blow torch the ones in my water meter, so I hastily threw together a hive, made some frames and the rest is history.

Solomon Parker- haha that's quaintly something I have done. you got me pegged. May I ask what is a "Bee-haver"

I think a bee-haver is where I started when I paid a local beek to set up a hive on my lot.

A beekeeper is what I became when the situation hit crisis.

It's alright though. I get called all kinds of things.
    I'd offer to call you a ton of things, but unfortunately, most of them are derogatory. I much prefer to stay out of that "category" since as Roland pointed out, I might be construed as clumsy.

DarJones
    DarJones - 44 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

A cool hive - that's what kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
    I'd offer to call you a ton of things, but unfortunately, most of them are derogatory.
    If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at all
    Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    A cool hive - that's what kind.
    Thanks

Bee-haver is fine by me, I do have bees after all. I have only harvested honey once, and without proper equipment, it was a nightmare I care not to repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianTurner View Post
    If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at all
    Thanks

Bee-haver is fine by me, I do have bees after all. I have only harvested honey once, and without proper equipment, it was a nightmare I care not to repeat.
    I cannot imagine trying to harvest honey without proper equipment, at least a suit. That would be a nightmare!

I have two bee suits in my closet. Neither has been used in so many years I've forgotten when last I had one on.

BT, I wasn't offering to call you names, just pointing out that calling someone a bee haver is pretty bad around here.

Harvesting honey is relatively easy if you have some clean 5 gallon buckets and some time. Make a strainer out of some nylon cloth, you can even use a clean nylon if you choose. Cut the honey from the colony and place it into a bucket. When finished harvesting, carry the bucket indoors and squeeze the honey out of the comb by hand. Pour the liquid honey into a second bucket with the nylon strainer tightly tied over the top. Let it settle for 2 days and skim any foam off the top and jar up the honey.
    DarJones - 44 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

Well, with AHB buzzing around Texas, on unknown bees I'm wearing mine, although I'm dreaming of an ultrabreeze jacket and just blue jeans and boots some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsi View Post
    I cannot imagine trying to harvest honey without proper equipment, at least a suit. That would be a nightmare!
    I work a cotton hoodie, some shorts, and saftey glasses (cause you gotta be safe) I got stung twice. not too bad, they were sure mad for day after that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
    I have two bee suits in my closet. Neither has been used in so many years I've forgotten when last I had one on.

BT, I wasn't offering to call you names, just pointing out that calling someone a bee haver is pretty bad around here.

Harvesting honey is relatively easy if you have some clean 5 gallon buckets and some time.
    I thought you were talking about Solomon, So...Bee-haver is bad? Oh thanks for that tip, you can call me whatever, it's probably true.
    well I had both of those(time and bucket), I used an unused suction device from when I was a Paramedic and went cell by cell to get honey out. quite tedious... why does honey foam if you filter it through nylons?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast