Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Forum Suggestion - add Zones

A suggestion to improve....

I always glance at the location of posters to see where they live. But I frequently find myself wondering what zone they live in. For instance, I'm sure Texas has several zones, and I would bet even California does. it seems to me that would be a lot more telling than just city/state. Of course, every poster could state that, but it would be nice if there were a spot tied into the location where we could state the zone if known and a link to the zone maps if not known. Then when I read that Denison, Tx, is blooming dandelions, I would have an idea of how soon I might expect them to bloom in my area.
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

Default Re: Forum Suggestion - add Zones

very good idea, include altitude.

Might be tough to nail down because many of the posters do not keep their bees at their listed address. They may even be in multiple states. You could keep checking the "Post your Bloom Dates" thread and see if that may help you prepare for upcoming blooms.
    To everything there is a season....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    Might be tough to nail down....You could keep checking the "Post your Bloom Dates" thread and see if that may help you prepare for upcoming blooms.
    If it is difficult to nail down, it could be left blank. Using for bloom dates was just an example. It could be helpful for swarm season, nectar flow (doesn't always equate to blooms, ie dearth), could help with winter preparedness, SHB, etc. Much of these things - as with bloom times - are seasonal and will follow specific zones. I'm sure old-timers don't need that kind of help but I need all the help I can get. And I am sure I am not alone. I read all the time, I ask a ton of questions, it's just a slow process for some of us to become skilled at this, especially for those of us without a mentor.
    8fr medium equipment

Use google maps it's awesome
    Im really not that serious

Location is a requirement for registration. Adding zone or any other location information that many may not know will make the registration process too difficult. However, I can add another field in the member profile to include this additional information, but it will be optional and will only show up in users profile page, not in each post.
    Regards, Barry

Good idea. You first- put it in your profile! To promote the idea, offering a link in the registration to a web site that would quickly translate zip code (in usa) to zone would encourage it, as would mentioning zone in postings.
    Running down the first several results in google, I get slightly different answers for my zip code:

http://www.garden.org/zipzone/ says 5B
    http://www.arborday.org/treeinfo/zonelookup.cfm says 6
    http://www.gardenweb.com/zones/zip.cgi says 5
    http://www.plantmaps.com/hardiness-z...rch-widget.php 5B
    http://www.plantmaps.com/usda_hardiness_zone_map.php 5B, has nice monthly limits data

OK, I added a Plant Hardiness Zone field to user's profile page. Go and fill it in.
    Regards, Barry

I understand the concept, and it's value, but this gets tricky for some of us. We have bees in 6 different counties, and 3 zones; 4b, 5a ,and 5b. Which do I list?

Crazy ROland

List them all. I extended the input field to allow for additional input.
    Regards, Barry

Done. I like the idea, as I know I have looked up a few places to see what a person's climate zone was in order to better understand a given management strategy.

I think it makes the forum a little more useful, and encourage others to make the adjustment.

Adam

Thumbs Up Re: Forum Suggestion - add Zones

Not sure why, but I wasn't getting updates to this post. THANKS, Barry! I still think it could show up very easily in the stats section and save a lot of flipping back and forth into and out of user profiles. I'm probably sensitive to the time element because out here in Booneyville there is no high-speed Internet and all my corresponding and reading is done on my wee little phone. Time and ease is a definite factor for me, obviously. But - Hey - I Really appreciate the addition!!!
    8fr medium equipment

Quote Originally Posted by gjd View Post
    Good idea. You first- put it in your profile!
    -->DONE! p.s. I used zone 7a because the map said that was for "plant" hardiness. The "USDA Hardiness" said 7b. Not sure the differences, will have to look that up. I think it has evolved to also include maximum heat instead of the previous only maximum cold temps. Either way, whether it is zone 7A or 7B, this is still more helpful than just "Anytown, Texas," for example, since Texas can cover zones 6-9. That's quite a range!
    8fr medium equipment

Unfortunately the only way for it to show up with location within the forums is to make it a required field. Not sure I want to demand that of everyone.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Unfortunately the only way for it to show up with location within the forums is to make it a required field. Not sure I want to demand that of everyone.
    Understandable. You know what you have to deal with.
    8fr medium equipment

This page lets you find you zone by zip code.
    http://www.gardenweb.com/zones/zip.cgi
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Im just adding onto this suggestion, but why dont we have a seperate forum choice for each state instead of zones?? I belong to a number of duck hunting sites and they all have a section where you can click on the state you live in to see how things are going, and click on other states to see how the migration is going and such.

Im no expert, but if it goes by zones, Kansas could be having extreme weather warnings while So.Cal is enjoying beautiful weather!!

You could have a mod for each state that watches over their respective state forum, there is enough members on here that I think this could be done.

I just think it would be cool to have states so that beekeepers in their respective states could post bloom dates, weather, and even perhaps things for sale within their state.

On the duck hunting sites I go to I have met and hunted with a lot of people I met on there and made a lot of new friends!

Just dropping a suggestion is all!!..............Jason
    Coyote Creek Bees

BeeG: Im no expert, but if it goes by zones, Kansas could be having extreme weather warnings while So.Cal is enjoying beautiful weather!!

Actually, that is incorrect, BG. Zones (of which there are 13) are for locations that have the same - or nearly - climate. While nothing is 100% accurate, this is the best way to know if there are locations in California (which has about five zones and a hugely varied climate range) that I CAN relate to. Zip codes (of which there are THOUSANDS), on the other hand, tell us nothing, unless I happen to live next door to the one being mentioned, or have memorized all the zip codes in the world, or I want to spend my time going back and forth looking up all the zip codes on google so I can see if it relates to me or not. Imagine doing that for just one post - like the swarm dates. Oy!

Zones would accomplish much the same thing as your "states," BeeG. In northern Arkansas, it can be snowing while in the very south all things pretty can be blossoming. So - for me - I don't "care" what's going on in my state, but I DO care what is going on in my same zone, because that is a more accurate representation of what may be occurring in my specific area (or climate).
    8fr medium equipment

Wow, BG. Too much coffee?
    8fr medium equipment

Putting it in your signature line is a good idea Seymore.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast