Hybrid View

Default Yellowjacket / paperwasp winter feeding ?

Does anyone know what I would feed a nest ( 10-20 wasps ) of yellow jackets?

Default Re: Yellowjacket / paperwasp winter feeding ?

I recommend just a very small amount of gas in a jar - just cover the bottom. After dark, invert the jar over the nest and grind it into the ground to get a good seal. leave jar in place overnight. By morning, the YJ's will have eaten their final meal. -james

Sevin

Ha. I want to feed them so they survive. I removed them from an outside light fixture and want to keep them. I gave them a meat scrap so I will see what they do with that. Some sites say that the queen leaves in the fall and the rest of the nest dies off but maybe they are still around because of our warm weather this year.

Google for comic Jerry Clower stories. I think they used too much gas I recommend working at night without a flashlight.
    BB's Honey
    www.bbshoney.com

I know they like sugar water, put up a hummingbird feeder that has yellow on it and they will take it over. Why do you want to save them?
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by guyross View Post
    Google for comic Jerry Clower stories. I think they used too much gas I recommend working at night without a flashlight.
    I remember my dad gassing them then lighting them up. I recall one time a huge fireball shot out and barely missed him. It was like a huge roman candle. But I learned there is no need to burn them and it takes very little gas. -james